Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good Deal on New Ball Lock Kegs  (Read 4704 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Good Deal on New Ball Lock Kegs
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:12 pm »
I noticed this listing on ebay today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kegco-KEG-5GAL-5-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Home-Brew-Strap-Keg-/130840258442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76afe78a

That's the best price I've seen to date on new kegs. 

Disclaimer-wise:  I have nothing to do with this listing.  I have bought other kegging equipment from the seller, Beverage Factory, in the past with good results.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Good Deal on New Ball Lock Kegs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:27 am »
Ask for a picture of the inside before you buy - I have some that look really similar on the outside.  The inside is fine except the bottom has a punt like a champagne bottle but the diptube goes to the center, so there is still a cup or so of liquid left in the bottom after the keg kicks.  It's not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:43 am »
Even cheaper if you buy two and also available at Amazon...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/01/great-deal-2-new-5-gallon-ball-lock.html

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:02 pm »
Ask for a picture of the inside before you buy - I have some that look really similar on the outside.  The inside is fine except the bottom has a punt like a champagne bottle but the diptube goes to the center, so there is still a cup or so of liquid left in the bottom after the keg kicks.  It's not necessarily a problem, just something to be aware of.

As much as 8oz? Even so I would certainly buy- including that bonus punt is a clever feature. Clearly to me these tupe kegs are designed with homebrewers in mind.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:47:33 am »

As much as 8oz? Even so I would certainly buy- including that bonus punt is a clever feature. Clearly to me these tupe kegs are designed with homebrewers in mind.
I think they make nice fermenters, or if you tend to keg beer before it is totally clear, or if you naturally carbonate in kegs.  I had not measured how much they retain too carefully, so I just did with one empty I have - dumped some water in, pushed it out with CO2 until it was spitting, then measured what was left.  Just over 14 oz.

I agree that they are designed with homebrewers in mind, but it is obvious where cost cutting measures were used and they are just not as nice as cornies.  The handles are uncomfortable when the keg is full, the punt in the middle, which is fine really, but the diptube should go down to the bottom of the edge then, not the center.  Little things like that.  I don't regret buying them, i just think they could be better.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline f0xtr0t

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35:41 am »
I wonder if you could swap out for a straight dip tube. I have a few cornies with straight dip tubes. Maybe just a simple swap.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:00 am »
The LHBS had some early examples for evaluation, in addition to Tom's comments, the interior weld surfaces were not to the quality I was used to seeing. Maybe they have gotten better.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »
I wonder if you could swap out for a straight dip tube. I have a few cornies with straight dip tubes. Maybe just a simple swap.
I think the easiest fix is to attach a little bit of tubing to the end of the diptube - it would be annoying but cheap.

The inside welds on the ones I have look fine to me, but I'm not an expert.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23:35 am »
I guess that might keep your beer clearer though, especially if you move it around. Yeast would settle away from the dip tube.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:33 am »

Or pull it out and straighten it. Might not get to the bottom, but should be a little lower.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958