General Category > Equipment and Software

chilling a 30-gal batch

(1/4) > >>

redzim:
Anyone here brew 1-bbl batches?  If so, how do you chill the wort...  large immersion chiller, or some kind of plate chiller?

If IC, what length and diameter is the coil? 

If plate chiller, any info on make, model, # of plates, and what pumps (if any) you use, would be appreciated.

thanks
red

lornemagill:
try a prechiller to a counter flow chiller.  you could do as many gallons as you like so long as you have something to keep the prechiller cold.

Jimmy K:
I was just at a nanobrewery (2 50gal kettles) and they used two therminators (actually, one was a therminator on steroids) and they used one as a prechiller. But thermodynamically, I'm pretty sure it would be better to run the wort through both. Chill with tap water in the first and pump ice water through the second.

tschmidlin:
I brew 60-75 gallon batches and chill with a single therminator.  I recirculate until the output is at pitching temp, then run it to the fermenter.

redzim:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 25, 2013, 01:05:05 AM ---I brew 60-75 gallon batches and chill with a single therminator.  I recirculate until the output is at pitching temp, then run it to the fermenter.

--- End quote ---

What kind of pump? Basic March 809 or...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version