General Category > Equipment and Software

chilling a 30-gal batch

<< < (2/4) > >>

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: redzim on January 25, 2013, 05:42:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 25, 2013, 01:05:05 AM ---I brew 60-75 gallon batches and chill with a single therminator.  I recirculate until the output is at pitching temp, then run it to the fermenter.

--- End quote ---

What kind of pump? Basic March 809 or...?

--- End quote ---
March 809 for now, I've ordered the 815 impeller to make it all go a bit faster.  I might need to recirculate longer, but it will give me a better whirlpool and the final transfer will happen a lot faster.  Not to mention the other transfers :)

majorvices:
I used to run 45 gallon batches through my Chillzilla and March pump w/no problems. I would just run over to fermentor and pitch the next AM if the water wasn't cold enough.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: majorvices on January 25, 2013, 10:32:40 AM ---I used to run 45 gallon batches through my Chillzilla and March pump w/no problems. I would just run over to fermentor and pitch the next AM if the water wasn't cold enough.

--- End quote ---
Looks like those kegs are attached. I kept wondering what they were for!?

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 25, 2013, 12:42:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on January 25, 2013, 10:32:40 AM ---I used to run 45 gallon batches through my Chillzilla and March pump w/no problems. I would just run over to fermentor and pitch the next AM if the water wasn't cold enough.

--- End quote ---
Looks like those kegs are attached. I kept wondering what they were for!?

--- End quote ---

Same here. I thought, "Man - those are some BIG ASS HOPBACKS"

...glad I'm not the only one...

weithman5:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 24, 2013, 09:24:27 PM ---I was just at a nanobrewery (2 50gal kettles) and they used two therminators (actually, one was a therminator on steroids) and they used one as a prechiller. But thermodynamically, I'm pretty sure it would be better to run the wort through both. Chill with tap water in the first and pump ice water through the second.

--- End quote ---

probably, however this way they only have the wort exposed to one piece of equipment for sanitizing etc.

i can't fathom these large batches anymore.  if i make more than 2 or 3 gallons at a time i get over worked 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version