Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some figures for opening a pub.  (Read 11509 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Some figures for opening a pub.
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 06:34:30 am »
The example I showed was just a simple example to demonstrate the concept. If you have to have an IPA on tap, put that into the model, like IPA>=1, or 5 or 7, or whatever the demand for IPA is. The model will give you the optimal solution, and also the range of objective coefficients, so it will tell you the acceptable range for every variable, every coefficient, and every right-hand side value.

If anyone would like to learn more about how to use linear programming to solve business problems, like multi-period inventory management, distribution, staff scheduling, or pretty much any other problem, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to help.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:22 am »
If you are losing money on the IPA, you need to answer a couple questions:
1.  Is it a top seller?  If so adjust the pricing to make a profit.  Why only sell it for $4.00?  Go to 4.50 or 5.00!
2.  If it isn't selling, take it out.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 11:56:49 am »
1.  Is it a top seller?  If so adjust the pricing to make a profit.  Why only sell it for $4.00?  Go to 4.50 or 5.00!
Hey OnTheKeg. How are you doing. Did not see you for some time.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »

Exactly! That was my point, though I'm pretty sure I made it in the most long-winded way possible.

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »
Just saw this post; I am a professional, college educated, and classically trained chef and homebrewer who is in the process of opening up my own place.  If you have never worked in restaurant and have no idea the beast that they really are you have no business being in them.  It takes a lot more than cash to open a brew pub, you need to know everything there is about cooking, kitchen equipment, pricing, staffing, health codes, fire codes, POS systems, plates, silverware, dishwashers, to go containers, booths, seats, how to talk and negotiate with vendors, how to know when your vendors are screwing you on case of lemons, and we didn’t even scratch the surface of the rest of the kitchen, front of the house, or brewing.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »
If you have never worked in restaurant and have no idea the beast that they really are you have no business being in them. 

I agree in principle, although I'd say if you don't know, you need to be able to hire someone who does, or find a business partner who does. Or, you need to be able to learn it before you run your business into the ground. (That last one is what we did with our business, but I don't recommend doing that if you can help it)

And anyway, most people are kinda dumb and bad at their jobs, so I don't know how big of a liability being ignorant really is. If only smart, capable people had jobs or owned businesses, the unemployment rate would be 90% and almost no one would own a small business.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:47:37 pm by nateo »