General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Liquid sub for Danstar Nottingham?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Joe Sr.:
I find 1968 to be significantly different in flavor from Nottingham.  In side by side fermentations they produce significantly different beers.

I get much more bitterness from 1968 than I do from Nottingham.

So if the Nottingham flavor profile is what you're looking for, be aware that it will not be the same.

erockrph:
I don't know if Danstar has improved their quality control recently, but if I wanted to replicate the experiences I had with Notty I'd just take an English ale strain then skip my normal sanitation procedures. I've had fairly disappointing results with it when I've used it, with a sour note that has me concerned that there may be some contamination.

denny:

--- Quote from: erockrph on January 25, 2013, 10:46:57 AM ---I don't know if Danstar has improved their quality control recently, but if I wanted to replicate the experiences I had with Notty I'd just take an English ale strain then skip my normal sanitation procedures. I've had fairly disappointing results with it when I've used it, with a sour note that has me concerned that there may be some contamination.

--- End quote ---

I think that's just the profile of the yeast.  I disliked the tart sourness so much that I stopped using it.

Pinski:

--- Quote from: denny on January 25, 2013, 10:49:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: erockrph on January 25, 2013, 10:46:57 AM ---I don't know if Danstar has improved their quality control recently, but if I wanted to replicate the experiences I had with Notty I'd just take an English ale strain then skip my normal sanitation procedures. I've had fairly disappointing results with it when I've used it, with a sour note that has me concerned that there may be some contamination.

--- End quote ---

I think that's just the profile of the yeast.  I disliked the tart sourness so much that I stopped using it.

--- End quote ---

This is my recollection as well and another reason I would prefer not to use this yeast. 

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: Pinski on January 25, 2013, 11:33:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 25, 2013, 10:49:33 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

This is my recollection as well and another reason I would prefer not to use this yeast.

--- End quote ---

No disagreement here. 

Strangely, though, I've found that the old ale I brewed with it seems to just keep improving and is better than the one with the ESB yeast.  It may be that the strange sourness fits well for an old ale.  Certainly not for a bitter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version