Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA...Great Flavor...Poor Aroma  (Read 1433 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
APA...Great Flavor...Poor Aroma
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:38 am »
That pretty much describes my latest APA.  It has been in the keg long enough now to have cleared, and the flavor is how I like it.  The aroma was never good though.  I could dry hop, but I'm afraid it would throw off the flavor.  In the recipe, there are 3oz of aroma hops at 5mins, and 1.5oz at 1min, so you'd think there would be some hop aroma, no?  Any ideas?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: APA...Great Flavor...Poor Aroma
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:54 am »
The majority of aroma is going to come in additions after the boil: Whirlpool and dry hop additions.

Everyone has their opinions on late/dry hop additions (times, temps, procedures), but however you do it - it needs to be done for hop aroma of any significance.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47:50 pm »
The majority of aroma is going to come in additions after the boil: Whirlpool and dry hop additions.

Everyone has their opinions on late/dry hop additions (times, temps, procedures), but however you do it - it needs to be done for hop aroma of any significance.

Pretty much this.  On batches that I haven't dry hopped or had significant late additions, low aroma.  On those that I have dry hopped and/or added lots of late / flameout additions... lots of aroma.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:20 pm »
Yep, most of your big hop aroma comes from flameout and dry hops. The nice thing is, since this is a kegged batch you can easily add some dry hops now. If you're concerned about overdoing it, just taste frequently and pull the hops if it gets to be too much for you.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer