General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Whirlpool "Strength"

(1/3) > >>

blatz:
Hey guys

Am still perfecting my whirlpool.  I installed a whirlpool arm in my kettle and while on the last brew session it worked well, it formed more of a 'pancake' than a 'cone' in the middle.

But I was thinking maybe the pressure of the return is not enough?  Currently, I am pumping (with a high flow March 809 pump) from the kettle, then through 2 Chillzilla counterflow chillers and then back to the whirlpool arm.

Would it behoove me to not pump through the 2 Chillzillas during the whirlpooling?  Would that make it faster?  It seems like it would, but how much I don't know.

Thoughts?

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: blatz on January 25, 2013, 09:52:16 AM ---Would it behoove me to not pump through the 2 Chillzillas during the whirlpooling?  Would that make it faster?  It seems like it would, but how much I don't know.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---
Bypassing the chillers will make it go faster, but I don't know how much either.  I run it through the chiller anyway, that's part of my sanitizing schedule.  I don't use quick connects though, so some of that is laziness from not wanting to move hoses around (they're all tri-clamps).

tom:
Do you get a visible whirlpool?  When I do a manual whirlpool I stir it with my mash paddle until there is a visible whirlpool and then stop and give it 15 minutes or so to settle out.  It gives me a nice cone on the bottom.

The Chillzilla's will certainly decrease your pressure.

tschmidlin:
I don't get a visible whirlppol (March 809 through a therminator in to the kettle with ~75 gallons of wort, 1 inch hoses).  I've started stirring the hot wort with a paddle to get a whirlpool going and then turning on the pump.

blatz:

--- Quote from: tom on January 25, 2013, 10:43:54 AM ---Do you get a visible whirlpool?  When I do a manual whirlpool I stir it with my mash paddle until there is a visible whirlpool and then stop and give it 15 minutes or so to settle out.  It gives me a nice cone on the bottom.

The Chillzilla's will certainly decrease your pressure.

--- End quote ---

yes - the whirlpool arm is installed at about the halfway mark of the wort and I definitely see the counter clockwise motion of the wort.

perhaps I need to stop pumping and let it rest longer (I did about 5 min last time).  do you think the increased pressure would cause a 'better' cone to form if I were to bypass the chillers during the whirlpool?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version