Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting Temperature  (Read 1348 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermenting Temperature
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:38 am »
I brewed a Two-Hearted clone last Saturday. I had a difficult time keeping my fermenting room in the basement up to proper temperature during the week when it was 0-5 degrees for 4 straight days. I pitched White Labs 001 yeast, and the fermentation was pretty active Monday and into Tuesday. By Wednesday, it had slowed down (which isn't uncommon in some cases), but I noticed that the temperature of the fermenting beer had dropped to about 60 degrees. I brewed a Pliny the Elder clone yesterday and wanted find a way to get the temp back up in that room (old bathroom so it's small). So I put a halogen spot light in the room for a bit. It did a nice job raising the temperature to about 67-68 degrees. The Two-Hearted became active again, which I am happy about. How, if at all, will this affect the taste of the beer?
Frank

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Fermenting Temperature
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:49 am »
The beer will be fine from the temporary cooldown.  You didn't mention what kind of fermenter, but you don't want a spotlight shining on a hoppy beer.  It will get skunky.  I put dark T-shirts over my carboys if their not in a dark room.  Buckets don't have that issue.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Fermenting Temperature
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:26:34 am »
Coolness around 60 F is actually a good thing for most ales IMHO.  I would have let both batches go at 60 F.  They will turn out great.  Just takes an extra day or three to ferment on average, that's all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.