Author Topic: NHC competition site change.  (Read 8502 times)

Offline tony

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: NHC competition site change.
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 03:55:40 AM »

It was not our intention to ostracize our Canadian members.  I would hope that was obvious but I guess it bears saying.

Removing the first round will certainly do that for some members here as we perceive that we are being singled out. The AHA has to remember that it isn't only a region that was affected, but virtually the entire country.

I can see a lot of truth in all the above statements, but I'm sure removing the first round here won't solve any of the growth problems the AHA competition has been experiencing.

Perhaps an AHA membership as a prerequisite to entering the competition could be adopted rather than the partial open concept. There must be some sort of solution to this problem that a little more brainstorming could solve.

Offline giant_macaskill

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
So if we had 750 entries, we would still have our Canadian site?

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 06:36:19 AM »
So if we had 750 entries, we would still have our Canadian site?
No. It has more to do with distribution of members (30,000 US vs 250 Canadian) than ability to fill the site with entries.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline giant_macaskill

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
Maybe it's time for a candid discussion of why this is.

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »
Maybe it's time for a candid discussion of why this is.

because the AHA is a US based, US focused lobbying organization/affinity group?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline giant_macaskill

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
I'd say follow the money.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
Most judges have traveled and then give up the first day of technical session to judge. That is a lot to ask as it is.

Yep.  That's one of the reasons I no longer judge second round.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »

Would you explain that?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
Money is always a consideration, but the AHA is a nonprofit organization. Just saying.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
Perhaps an AHA membership as a prerequisite to entering the competition could be adopted rather than the partial open concept. There must be some sort of solution to this problem that a little more brainstorming could solve.

An AHA membership is required to enter the competition. The only part that is partially open is that Members can buy a guest pass (usually used for SO) to the conference.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »

An AHA membership is required to enter the competition. The only part that is partially open is that Members can buy a guest pass (usually used for SO) to the conference.

Not true. 

AHA membership is not required to enter this competition.  Non-members just have a more expensive entry fee.
- Mike

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
exactly, membership is not required to enter this competition.

On that note, Tom or anyone who knows:  What % of entries come from non-members?  $15, now $17, is a lot to pay to enter one beer...Just curious as I assume members make up the great majority of entries.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
I'll say this again because I think it warrants repeating. If you want to help the AHA out with the increasing demand and future success of the NHC, then begin your journey to become a BJCP judge and join us in judging this awesome competition. I've judged the first and second rounds of the last two years NHC's, and plan to do so again this year in NYC and Philly. The more judges we can recruit, the better off we'll be, for the impending growth of this national competition.
Ron Price

Online AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
I'll say this again because I think it warrants repeating. If you want to help the AHA out with the increasing demand and future success of the NHC, then begin your journey to become a BJCP judge and join us in judging this awesome competition. I've judged the first and second rounds of the last two years NHC's, and plan to do so again this year in NYC and Philly. The more judges we can recruit, the better off we'll be, for the impending growth of this national competition.

Exactly.
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline giant_macaskill

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

Would you explain that?
What are the benefits to foreign members to have an AHA membership (other than zymurgy)?  Because it appears that is one of the major problems here.  The ALES comp was moving to full capacity, and was well judged and well run, those don't appear to be reasons not to have the site anymore.  If foreign members are funneling money to the AHA without the same benefits, it's not much of an incentive....

...but, ultimately, as stated above, you are hurting for BJCP judges.  As crazy as this sounds, in the long run, it may have been more beneficial to your members to have more sites in Canada and open to the US entries.  I would bet that we have a large pool of qualified judges available to handle it at this end.  Because obviously, you are backing yourselves into a corner with the disproportional growth rates of brewers/judges.  Killing ALES is just a symptom of a bigger problem that may not go away so easily.  My 2c.