General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Hennepin Clone Yeast Question??

<< < (3/3)

Joe Sr.:
I've grown up a pitchable amount from Ommegang bottle dregs before.  It's actually pretty easy as the dregs seem to be more viable than some of the Belgian beers that have traveled further and been stored longer.

It's interesting to hear that they use spices to mimic different yeasts, as I did not get much character from their yeast.  I pitched it into a straight pils wort, so it was a pretty simple beer but not remarkable in any fashion.  It attenuated like mad.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: reverseapachemaster on January 28, 2013, 08:07:12 PM ---The Ommegang and Duvel strains are definitely different. Mortgaat is putting out Duvel Rustica, which is Duvel fermented with the Ommegang strain.

--- End quote ---
It is also produced at Ommegang.

dirtybiz:
Can you guys point me in the right direction to work on the gathering the Yeast from the bottle idea? 

Not quite sure where to start with that one. 

Joe Sr.:
Pour a small amount of cooled wort into the bottle.  Swirl it.  Cover it loosely with tin foil.

Add more the next day.  Do this maybe one or two more times and then pitch from the bottle into a starter on a stir plate if you have one.

You should be able to grow it to a pitchable amount if you start with weak wort when you add it to the bottle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version