Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Brewing Cookbook  (Read 6757 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Beer Brewing Cookbook
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:53:48 pm »
Keep in mind that the recipe is probably the least important aspect of brewing.  10 people brewing the exact same recipe will come up with 10 different beers.
I like Designing Great Beers over any of the previously mentioned books(I have all of them).  It gives you insight on creating your own recipes that fit your system and brewing style.

Designing Great Beers is probably my favorite brewing book ever. It is the one book I am sure to consult whenever I consider brewing to style.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »
Oops!  I know better. I'll blame it on only one cup of coffee so far!
Are you talking about all of those books garc mentioned, or just the last two?  I really like the few beers I've brewed from BCS, and Radical Brewing is probably my favorite brewing book and I think it is hands down the best resource for odd ingredients.

Damn, I AM asleep!  I meant only the last 2.  BCS and Radical Brewing are great books.
Looks like I was asleep too - I quoted the wrong post! :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 05:54:59 am »
Oops!  I know better. I'll blame it on only one cup of coffee so far!
Are you talking about all of those books garc mentioned, or just the last two?  I really like the few beers I've brewed from BCS, and Radical Brewing is probably my favorite brewing book and I think it is hands down the best resource for odd ingredients.

Damn, I AM asleep!  I meant only the last 2.  BCS and Radical Brewing are great books.
Looks like I was asleep too - I quoted the wrong post! :)

And here I thought I was sleeping because I had to reread all the posts to figure out what you guys are talking about.
I like to consult Brewing Classic Styles when designing a recipe.  Radical Brewing is a great book, but I never actually considered it a recipe book, more a resource.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 09:08:08 am »
Keep in mind that the recipe is probably the least important aspect of brewing.  10 people brewing the exact same recipe will come up with 10 different beers.
I like Designing Great Beers over any of the previously mentioned books(I have all of them).  It gives you insight on creating your own recipes that fit your system and brewing style.

I completely agree with your comment about recipes.  At one NHC, I tried 10-12 different versions of my Rye IPA recipe.  All were good and not one of them tased like mine!

DGB is a great book, but it's getting dated.  When you look at the award winning recipes, there are a lot of them that wouldn't be formulated that way using ingredients we have available today.  As long as you recognize that and can compensate, there's a lot of great stuff there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50:20 am »

DGB is a great book, but it's getting dated.  When you look at the award winning recipes, there are a lot of them that wouldn't be formulated that way using ingredients we have available today.  As long as you recognize that and can compensate, there's a lot of great stuff there.
I'd love to see an update, especially if he were to include some basic Belgian styles like wit and strong dark ales.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 06:23:17 pm »
I'd love to see an update, especially if he were to include some basic Belgian styles like wit and strong dark ales.

Last I knew, Ray's at work on Designing Great Belgian Beers.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:49 pm »
Look into Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong. Not a beer recipe book, but how to approach brewing so that your finished beer is what you set out to make. Much like a a cooking instruction book with some recipes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »

Rumor at NHC was that he was working on an update. I haven't heard anything official.

I do think that Ray's talk at NHC this year (Drink what you think?) was like a mini DGB.

Offline ritko1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
I did see Designing Great Beers while doing a recipe search and thought it would make a great future purchase.  I don't think I ready for designing just yet tho as i'm still a new brewer.  I really just want to brew different types (of other people's beers,  lol) so I can get a feel of what the different ingredients will do for me. Definitely on my future purchase list.

Appreciate all the great input,
Ritko1

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 08:13:33 am »
Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew
+1  The great thing is these recipes have all won gold at the National Homebrew Competition.  There are also pointers on key thing needed to get the style right. And it includes extract recipes with all-grain conversions.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:52 am »
+1  The great thing is these recipes have all won gold at the National Homebrew Competition.  There are also pointers on key thing needed to get the style right. And it includes extract recipes with all-grain conversions.
All? Those were all award winners, but 80 golds in the NHC???
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
All? Those were all award winners, but 80 golds in the NHC???
Well I thought they were. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. They are not all Jamil's recipes and we're talking categories not BOS. Maybe they just medaled, but silver is not winning. It's first loser :)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:22 am »
I find the Classic Beer Styles Series awesome for getting a feel for the way beer was brewed for a particular style. Lots of insight into the history and all aspects of the classic brewing ingredients. Plus you only have to buy what styles are relavent to what you like brewing.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:31 am »
I find the Classic Beer Styles Series awesome for getting a feel for the way beer was brewed for a particular style. Lots of insight into the history and all aspects of the classic brewing ingredients. Plus you only have to buy what styles are relavent to what you like brewing.

Again, though, you have to be careful about getting current info.  For example, Fix's VMO book is so outdated in terms of recipes and ingredients That I don't think it's worth having.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 06:57:10 pm »

Again, though, you have to be careful about getting current info.  For example, Fix's VMO book is so outdated in terms of recipes and ingredients That I don't think it's worth having.
I will agree, and also say the Pils we book by Miller is outdated.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild