Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale  (Read 2219 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »
First off, I would say a BIG thank you to Euge for funneling this in my direction.

I finally got to trying a snifter of this, After I had a homemade saison...so my palate
is not spot on perhaps. (not that it ever was)

Nose is not forthcoming and if anything reminds me of wet dog...yep thats right weak wet dog.
almost verdigris coppery smelling.  I took a small sip and was like....dang NO mouthfeel kinda
watery. That was after the saison of course so maybe expected.
The Beer poured a coppery light amber in the glas and the head was shortlived and a small
ring of bubbles circle the brew perimeter.
Next sip was more better and hoppy, I had become acclimated and it was like yeah...ok I can
do this.  After that I find it to be a nice brew once you get past the smell....light and clean
on the palate not real hoppy as the label/name might have you believe.  If I could find this beer
up here in BFE whyo, I would prolly get some from time to time just to alternate from the
New Belgium scene.  Crisp and forward hoppy, not agressively hoppy. Malt takes a back seat.
IMO
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Re: Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:26 am »
It's not bad, although not outstanding either.  I am rather fond of Shiner bock, even tho it's not really an outstanding beer either.  So I was happy to see shiner moving in a new and interesting direction.  The pale ale is certainly quite drinkable, and pretty tasty.  I was happy to see shiner moving to hoppier, bolder beers, as most of their beers are quite mild.

I would certainly drink the wild hare again. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
I drank six of them last week... Best thing about WH is the hops which are pretty forward for something from the Spoetzl brewery.

Sorry I only sent one Dave...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:51 pm »
I took a small sip and was like....dang NO mouthfeel kinda watery.
Shiner beers tend to be thin in my experience. I still like most of 'em, though.