Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA in primary  (Read 1510 times)

Offline gooch48

• 1st Kit
IPA in primary
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:58 pm »
I just started my first IPA (first homebrew batch ever) a week ago and have a quick question. The recipe instruction I got calls for racking into a secondary after about 1-2 weeks but every homebrewer I know says there is no need and to just leave it in the primary until ready for bottling. If that is the case how long can I leave it in the primary before bottling. I'm not that concerned with clarity as long as a good flavor i'm happy. appreciate any advice.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
IPA in primary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:21:59 pm »
I leave my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks usually.  Never less than 2, but that's uncommon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: IPA in primary
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:20 pm »
+1 on Denny. I rarely use a secondary, unless I am aging a beer, or doing an extended dry hop. The majority of my beers are in the primary for 3 weeks, and occasionally as long as 4, never had an issue.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:18:47 pm »
I've left really big beers in primary for 6 or 7 weeks without a problem. For something hoppy like an IPA you really want it as fresh as possible. Start checking your gravity at about 12 days. Once you hit a final gravity that is the same for 2 consecutive days, you're good to go.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
The airlock bubbling tells me when I should start checking gravity. Gravity tells me when I should start thinking about bottling. I don't think in days or weeks.
In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA