General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Key to creamy stouts

<< < (2/2)

hokerer:

--- Quote from: anje on January 28, 2013, 08:20:29 AM ---Be aware that some folks may shy away from lactose...  I'm on the extreme end of the intolerance, where 3 M&Ms will cause me all sorts of fun gastric distress while clearing the room. So I stay clear of the milk stouts.

--- End quote ---

Ah, so that's what your avatar is about.  It shows what happens when you eat M&Ms :)

anje:

--- Quote from: hokerer on January 29, 2013, 07:43:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: anje on January 28, 2013, 08:20:29 AM ---Be aware that some folks may shy away from lactose...  I'm on the extreme end of the intolerance, where 3 M&Ms will cause me all sorts of fun gastric distress while clearing the room. So I stay clear of the milk stouts.

--- End quote ---

Ah, so that's what your avatar is about.  It shows what happens when you eat M&Ms :)

--- End quote ---
Only if someone has an Aim-n-Flame. :)

AmandaK:
Flaked barley works wonders.

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on February 01, 2013, 11:20:32 AM ---Flaked barley works wonders.

--- End quote ---

Maltodextrine powder works too.  For those where lactose could be an issue.  I have used them both.  My experience is that neither lactose or maltodextrine are really sweet and both add body to the beer as both are unfermentable by saccharomyces.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: redbeerman on February 01, 2013, 11:55:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: AmandaK on February 01, 2013, 11:20:32 AM ---Flaked barley works wonders.

--- End quote ---

Maltodextrine powder works too.  For those where lactose could be an issue.  I have used them both.  My experience is that neither lactose or maltodextrine are really sweet and both add body to the beer as both are unfermentable by saccharomyces.

--- End quote ---

The times I've used maltodextrin I've been a bit underwhelmed by the end result. Flaked barley does a much better job at filling out mouthfeel to my tastes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version