Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA malt bill advice  (Read 6224 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: IPA malt bill advice
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 06:51:23 pm »
I just cleaned out my supply of Munich Saturday. I went 50/50 Munich and Pilsen malt (6.5 lbs of each) with 4 or 5 oz of C 120. But I was going for a big hoppy amber. Kind of a hoppier version of Nugget Nectar. I landed a 55 lb sack of Avangard Munich for $40.

This being said, this isn't a standard IPA. If I use Munich in an IPA, it's 10-15% with medium crystal from 3-5%. I just kicked a keg of my all Zythos IPA. I experimented with mainly base malt. 66% two row, 33% Maris otter, and like 3.5 oz of C 120. I loved it. This might be my new go to bill for IPAs. All this balance talk in an IPA doesn't work for me. I brew mine so that they aren't balanced. I feel that a good AIPA should be more than skewed to the hops. I try to fit in a pound of hops in my IPAs. I seek much more of a balance in an APA.
Frank

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:24 pm »
Here is the full recipe.  In the original, there was a columbus FWH addition and a Simcoe flameout addition that I omitted in this one, and the chinook is new (cause my wife wanted a little pine).  Also, my FG was 1.010 instead of 1.014, so ABV was like 7.2%.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal   Style: American IPA
Color: 7.1 SRM
Bitterness: 66.2 IBUs   Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.064 (15.5° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6°)
ABV: 6.5%   

1 tbs            Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min)
12 lbs 8.0 oz   Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz   Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz           Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)   
0.45 oz           Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz           Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min   
0.35 oz           Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.35 oz           Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00                   Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz           Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min   
0.5 oz           Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz           Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz           Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min   
0.5 oz           Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min   
0.5 oz           Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz           Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
2 pkgs           American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1.0 oz           Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days   
1.5 oz           Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days
0.5 oz           Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:15:59 pm by trapae »
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
I like the malt bill. That'll be good. The hop bill is very solid too. I think you'll like this beer. I like more 60 minute hops but that's personal preference. One thing that my brewers OCD would force me to do is swap out the magnum with Columbus and/or Chinook to keep it in the spirits of the C hops.  :P
Frank

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:43 am »
I like the malt bill. That'll be good. The hop bill is very solid too. I think you'll like this beer. I like more 60 minute hops but that's personal preference. One thing that my brewers OCD would force me to do is swap out the magnum with Columbus and/or Chinook to keep it in the spirits of the C hops.  :P
Newbie question here, where (if) do you use Magnum? Thought it was a good bittering hop for an IPA, but seeing a lot of posts on "not in an IPA" I am sitting on some and would like to use it, but not sure where now. Picked it up thinking it would be good (heard/read somewhere) as a 60 minute addition, but maybe it fits another style better?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:50 am »
Newbie question here, where (if) do you use Magnum? Thought it was a good bittering hop for an IPA, but seeing a lot of posts on "not in an IPA" I am sitting on some and would like to use it, but not sure where now. Picked it up thinking it would be good (heard/read somewhere) as a 60 minute addition, but maybe it fits another style better?

I just tapped an english style barley wine that I used Magnum for bittering. it's pretty tasty. just a strong, solid bitterness to balance the sweetness without anything else getting in the way.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 09:34:40 am »

It's a good clean, neutral bittering hop. As Mort said, it works well in English style beers... English IPA would be one. I personally think that an american IPA needs more complexity. For instance, the dankness of Columbus or piny-ness of chinook. Occasionally I'll bitter with Simcoe or get the earthiness of nugget in an AIPA it's personal preference, and you should brew what you like... That's why we do this, right?
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:10 am »
I agree with the above. I use Magnum as bittering for the majority of my beers. Even though I noted that I like my IPAs more balanced, I still use something more aggressive like Columbus for bittering. When I say "balanced" I mean for the style not necessarily overall.... The style is not meant to be balanced so I realize it sounds like I am saying conflicting things
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:18 am »

It's a good clean, neutral bittering hop. As Mort said, it works well in English style beers... English IPA would be one. I personally think that an american IPA needs more complexity. For instance, the dankness of Columbus or piny-ness of chinook. Occasionally I'll bitter with Simcoe or get the earthiness of nugget in an AIPA it's personal preference, and you should brew what you like... That's why we do this, right?

This beer is a British IPA, and it uses Chinook to bitter, and C135 too. Brew it sometime.
http://realbeer.com/hops/sister.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  Anyone used columbus centennial and chinook together for dry hopping?  I'm thinking of using an oz of each.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »
Just now listening to an interview with Tinseth and he said he likes Chinook as a dryhop. I personally don't think I would. Centennial and cascade, you bet.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 04:01:22 am »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  Anyone used columbus centennial and chinook together for dry hopping?  I'm thinking of using an oz of each.

Yep... Good stuff. I also toss cascade into the mix in my 4 C's IPA. Don't be afraid to go 2 oz Centennial with 1 oz of the other two.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 05:51:48 am »

Yep... Good stuff. I also toss cascade into the mix in my 4 C's IPA. Don't be afraid to go 2 oz Centennial with 1 oz of the other two.

+1. That's a good ratio Frank - keeps the Chinook and Columbus from taking over.
Jon H.