General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Fermenting Temperature

(1/1)

fmader:
I brewed a Two-Hearted clone last Saturday. I had a difficult time keeping my fermenting room in the basement up to proper temperature during the week when it was 0-5 degrees for 4 straight days. I pitched White Labs 001 yeast, and the fermentation was pretty active Monday and into Tuesday. By Wednesday, it had slowed down (which isn't uncommon in some cases), but I noticed that the temperature of the fermenting beer had dropped to about 60 degrees. I brewed a Pliny the Elder clone yesterday and wanted find a way to get the temp back up in that room (old bathroom so it's small). So I put a halogen spot light in the room for a bit. It did a nice job raising the temperature to about 67-68 degrees. The Two-Hearted became active again, which I am happy about. How, if at all, will this affect the taste of the beer?

rob_f:
The beer will be fine from the temporary cooldown.  You didn't mention what kind of fermenter, but you don't want a spotlight shining on a hoppy beer.  It will get skunky.  I put dark T-shirts over my carboys if their not in a dark room.  Buckets don't have that issue.

dmtaylor:
Coolness around 60 F is actually a good thing for most ales IMHO.  I would have let both batches go at 60 F.  They will turn out great.  Just takes an extra day or three to ferment on average, that's all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version