Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unread threads  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Unread threads
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:46 am »
Has there been a change to how the unread button works? I've been feeling like "unread" threads are disappearing without me opening them.  I was away this weekend and off the forum. Last night I checked and there were two pages of unread threads. I read a few and went to bed. This morning there are 9 unread.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Unread threads
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:59:42 am »
Has there been a change to how the unread button works? I've been feeling like "unread" threads are disappearing without me opening them.  I was away this weekend and off the forum. Last night I checked and there were two pages of unread threads. I read a few and went to bed. This morning there are 9 unread.

Don't think anything's changed as I've had that happen on and off for what seems like forever.  What helps sometimes is to try the "ALL unread" thing that normally is available when all threads are "read".

Try this...  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0
Joe

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:41 am »
I think that's normal, but it is a little silly.  I have to make sure that I have enough time to read all the unread threads all in one sitting otherwise the next time you open they will be gone.  Then you have to do what hokerer said: click the "all unread" button.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:53:12 am »
i think if the main forum page had the most recent posts of the last ten topics instead of the last ten posts it would be more functional
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:29 am »
I think that's normal, but it is a little silly.  I have to make sure that I have enough time to read all the unread threads all in one sitting otherwise the next time you open they will be gone.  Then you have to do what hokerer said: click the "all unread" button.
That is my problem. I feel like this was not a problem a month ago. Until then, both unread and replies had a dozen or more pages of posts listed. Not any more.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:59 pm »
That is my problem. I feel like this was not a problem a month ago. Until then, both unread and replies had a dozen or more pages of posts listed. Not any more.

Hasn't changed for me.  Have you tried a different browser?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:57 am »
Pretty annoying. When I look at the main page, 12 topics indicate unread threads (by the icons on the left) but the Unread list contains zero threads to read.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:19:25 am »
Pretty annoying. When I look at the main page, 12 topics indicate unread threads (by the icons on the left) but the Unread list contains zero threads to read.

What do you get when, at that "no unread topics" screen, you click on "Click here to try all unread topics"?
Joe

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:17:07 am »

What do you get when, at that "no unread topics" screen, you click on "Click here to try all unread topics"?
Amazing! Years on this forum and I never noticed that.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:06 am »
I can't answer the question but I'm happy to know it isn't just me.  I wondered for quite awhile why, sometimes, I will hit unread threads, read a couple, hit unread again or refresh and all the links are gone.  Happens in both IE and Firefox on multiple machines.

I've learned to work around it so it doesn't bother me that much.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:26:05 pm »
I've noticed it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:01 am »
I've learned to work around it so it doesn't bother me that much.  8^)

The easy way I've found to work around it is to use the link I posted in my first response in this thread...

Try this...  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

...as my bookmark (aka favorite) in my browser to go to the AHA forum.  That link is the exact same as what happens when you click on the "Click here to try all unread topics" thing.  By using that as your bookmark, whenever you come to the forum, you automatically include all unread forums regardless of what read/unread state you left things in the last time you were on the forum.
Joe