General Category > All Grain Brewing

mash out

<< < (2/3) > >>

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: euge on January 28, 2013, 10:53:24 AM ---Batch-sparger here!

I've found that it usually takes boiling water when performing a mashout to see an effective rise in overall mash temp. Dumping in a few gallons at 170 only results in a few degrees rise.

--- End quote ---
Hmm, I've never measured the temperature after adding sparge water.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: euge on January 28, 2013, 10:53:24 AM ---I've found that it usually takes boiling water when performing a mashout to see an effective rise in overall mash temp. Dumping in a few gallons at 170 only results in a few degrees rise.

--- End quote ---

If you want, it's relatively easy to do the calculation to tell you how hot your water needs to be to raise to mashout temps.  Similar to what you do for your intial strike temps.

denny:
Unless you hold 170 for 20 min. or more you won't denature the enzymes.  I think the increase in efficiency is due to the higher temps making sure you have as complete a conversion as possible.

tom:
and maybe gelatinizing any remaining starch

bierview:
I always raise my mash to 168 degrees.  Let it sit for 10 minutes and sparge with 175 degree water.  This places my grain bed at 165 degrees.  My understanding is that 165 is optimum for a good sparge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version