Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie Kegging Questions  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Newbie Kegging Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:21 am »
Full disclosure... my advice was coming from an article in zymurgy. I am always gentle so have not experienced anything else, look like you can shake as hard you want

I think you're not wrong but that the impact is less than noticeable.  At least that's been the consensus I've come across in other threads on this forum.

So, while we may be destroying some foam positive compounds we have so many of them that we still get foam.

I may try setting the regulator at a lower PSI.  I have had some beers that need a day or two to get the carbonation to come down to where I can pour reasonably.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:08:01 am »
but be gentle because if you form too much foam IN the keg there might not be enough foam positive compounds left intact to get a good head in the glass.

I know there's since behind it, but... I'm going to be contrary again.  I have not experienced any problems with this.

When I keg, I typically fill a one-liter PET bottle and shake the bejesus out of it to get a couple of glasses carbed up right away.  It foams a LOT in the bottle.  It pours just fine with a nice head.

Sample size is 1 (myself), so take it for what it's worth.

Now it's 2....I agree with you.  I totally believe the science, but I shake the crap out of both the keg and a sample bottle, like you do.  No problems with foam.  I've always assumed it was because whatever i do produces enough foam positive compounds in the first place that even after destroying some there are still plenty left.  Just a WAG, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:13:13 am »
Forgot to add,

- Faucets are Perlick
- Liquid side tubing is 3/16" ID

So if I set it at 11-12 PSI, shook it for a while (10-12 minutes), let it sit for a day or two, still at 11-12 PSI, would that work?
Only thing I'd add is let the beer cool to serving temp before shaking. If it is warm you're just fighting the laws of physics.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:45:50 am »
Forgot to add,

- Faucets are Perlick

So if I set it at 11-12 PSI, shook it for a while (10-12 minutes), let it sit for a day or two, still at 11-12 PSI, would that work?
Only thing I'd add is let the beer cool to serving temp before shaking. If it is warm you're just fighting the laws of physics.

Will do, I wrestled with them enough in college. I never won.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:53:49 am »
Forgot to add,

- Faucets are Perlick

Will do, I wrestled with them enough in college. I never won.

Few do
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »
On the liquid side I'm connecting the tubing to a 1/4" tail piece; do I need to clamp the tubing, or will it be ok?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 07:29:53 am »
I have clamps on all of my connections, except for the barb of the picnic taps. 

I recommend it, though I suppose you could go without since the taps don't leak.

It's cheap insurance, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:16 pm »
So I set the gauge to about 10psi and rolled it back and forth with my foot for about 10 minutes.  Beer was chilled to 40F. It's been in the keezer about two days now, and I feel like the carbonation is still a little low. I checked the posts/lid with star san and I don't see anything. Also, the high side gauge hasn't dropped any (at least not noticeably). What could I be doing wrong?

Also, I put close to 5.5 gallons in the keg- could the lack of headspace affect the force carbing?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:09 am »
In my experience it is harder to force carbonate a keg with less headspace. And I'm pretty sure if I did what you did with a very full keg, the carbonation would still be low. I'd draw a few "samples" then shake again. That should help. 
AHA Member since 2006

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:16 am »
In my experience it is harder to force carbonate a keg with less headspace. And I'm pretty sure if I did what you did with a very full keg, the carbonation would still be low. I'd draw a few "samples" then shake again. That should help.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a few samples, for science, and try again tonight.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 07:56:48 am »
IME-lack of headspace definitely effects the rate of carbonation.  Pull a few for posterity and the scientific method!

Dave 
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:52 am »
IME-lack of headspace definitely effects the rate of carbonation.  Pull a few for posterity and the scientific method!

Especially when doing the shake-n-bake method, less headspace means probably means less bubbles to dissolve into beer.  Just fill a water bottle to the very top and shake it to see.

TO SCIENCE!!
AHA Member since 2006