General Category > All Grain Brewing

is my theory sound?

(1/7) > >>

andrew000141:
im 3 AG batches deep and my beers have been very watery unfortunately. The second one i mashed at 155 and i still got a FG of 1.007 (og 15 brix). I have been batch sparging w/o mashout. im wondering if not mashing out is the culprit as the grains temp lowers as i recirculate and sparge possibly converting the higher sugars and dextrins to light sugars while doing so. could this be the issue?

tschmidlin:
Maybe - we need more info, like recipes (lbs of grain at least) and OGs.

redbeerman:
How long is the mash and is the temperature maintained throughout.  If the mash temps are decreasing to 150ish for an extended period of time, that will increase the fermentability of the wort as well.  As Tom said, need more info.

jeffy:

--- Quote from: redbeerman on January 29, 2013, 05:36:14 AM ---  If the mash temps are decreasing to 150ish for an extended period of time, that will increase the fermentability of the wort as well.

--- End quote ---
Red, I don't think it works that way, as the beta amylase enzymes are denatured already from the higher temp mash in.
As you both said, need more recipe info.

Jimmy K:
My first thought was that your thermometer might be off. I used to use a probe-style oven thermometer and so did my friend (different brand). Neither was calibrated. One day we were brewing together and my thermometer was reading 10 degrees higher than his!  That could put your mash in the 140s.

But as said, we really need more info. I batch sparge without a mashout though, so I can tell you that alone is not the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version