General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Free rise temp for Belgian strong?

(1/3) > >>

dennisw:
Yesterday I brewed a Belgian strong dark ale. I pitched a Wyeast 3787 Trappist High gravity starter at 67 deg. This morning I have active fermentation and the temp has risen to 69 deg. and I'm sure will  continue to rise. I have the ability to control the temp. With this beer and yeast combination is it better to control the temp or just let it free rise and ferment out? Thanks for any input.

redbeerman:
I would try to keep it below 70 if possible.  I find that the esters tend to be bubblegum-ish if you let the temps get too high.  I usually try to keep the temps between 62 an 68.

kylekohlmorgen:
I don't like it that high for my tastes, but I've always thought of 70F as the fusel "breaking point", esp. if its already rising on its own.

Its easier to keep control than take control.

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on January 29, 2013, 07:13:15 AM ---I don't like it that high for my tastes, but I've always thought of 70F as the fusel "breaking point", esp. if its already rising on its own.

Its easier to keep control than take control.

--- End quote ---

IME 70 us a conservative threshold for fusels.  Stick with what's comfortable for you, but I haven't wound up with any fusel bombs in beers that have risen to the low and maybe mid 70s.

Keep in mind that I am not recommending this as best practice, just suggesting that it's not a threshold to freak out about.  I freaked this summer when 10 gallons of wit hit 78, but the beer actually turned out pretty good and despite my searching for it, I did not get any fusel headaches.  Of course, the beer did not ferment at 78 for very long as I dropped the temp as soon as I caught it.

dbarber:
I would try and keep the beer below 70.  Make sure you've got a blow off tube on it, this yeast really rocks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version