General Category > Beer Recipes

Hop Liquor

<< < (2/3) > >>

udubdawg:
I'm not THAT overstocked on hops but it is tempting to see if this isn't too vegetal.  I suppose even if you didn't like it you could keep a keg of it around just to add an ounce to any underhopped beers.   ;D

erockrph:
My last IIPA had 18oz of hops in a batch that started out with 4 gallons preboil. It only netted me a twelve pack. I figure with this recipe I'll end up with a case or so, which is my typical batch size right now. The last IIPA was pretty harsh to start, but I think that was mainly because so much hop material made it through to the bottles. A month of lagering in the bottles smoothed it out quite a bit, and it is really nice right now.

I am thinking of tweaking the dry hop schedule a bit so the pellet hops are the first additions, then carefully rack to secondary and use whole cones (which will be more easily filtered) for the last additions. The sheer amount of vegetative matter definitely had a big impact on the last beer I brewed like this.

troybinso:
I think you will be getting some diminishing returns on the hops, but if you are hellbent on 40 oz it seems like you have set it up pretty well. I would take some hops out of the 60 minute though, and I would add a LOT more of the hops in the mash. That way you aren't getting quite as much gunk in the kettle.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: troybinso on January 29, 2013, 11:25:39 AM ---I think you will be getting some diminishing returns on the hops, but if you are hellbent on 40 oz it seems like you have set it up pretty well. I would take some hops out of the 60 minute though, and I would add a LOT more of the hops in the mash. That way you aren't getting quite as much gunk in the kettle.

--- End quote ---

I'm actually planning on topping off, so I'm going to add the topoff water to the kettle to sparge that massive hop trub that I'll have left over.

fmader:
This is completely asinine! In saying that, I love it! I would agree with you to tweek the hop additions. Add your whole/leaf hops to the dry hops additions (especially since they are Centennial and Simcoe). I personally would love to do this but make it a IIPA. Add a handful of pounds of 2 row and some Crystal..maybe 40L to boost the body/flavor and ABV closer to 10%. But I completely understand wanting to experiment the pilsner aspect of this monster. Good luck and keep us informed of the results!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version