General Category > Equipment and Software

All things jockey box

<< < (2/2)

troybinso:
I have a 2 pass cold plate that works pretty well. It is 25 ft of 1/4 in tubing. I have found a sweet spot at around 18psi. Also, it works MUCH better if the beer is at least cool in the keg. It is hard for me to pour a warm keg of beer through the plate without some foaming.

I have to disagree a little bit about the water/ice ratio. I think it works best if the plate is surrounding by a little bit of water, with lots of ice all around. If you drain out the water, then you are losing some contact area with just the chunks of ice in there. It probably doesn't make much difference in the end.

By the way, instead of buying a newly assembled jockey box, you can easily convert a cooler into one of your own for much cheaper if you can find a used cold plate on ebay. If you can make a kegerator, then you can make a jockey box.

a10t2:
Personally, I think a cold plate gives better results. More surface area, more mass, and aluminum rocks as a conductor. I have 10 ft of 3/16" lines between the kegs and the plate, and 10 ft between the plate and faucets. That's ~15 psi of pressure drop, plus ~5 psi for the plate itself (assuming 18 ft of 1/4" tubing). So I can serve at 25-30 psi, which keeps the keg carbonated in case it doesn't kick.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: micsager on January 29, 2013, 09:21:40 AM ---One website said it's important to cover the coils completely with ice.  Is that true?

--- End quote ---

Covered in ice water would be best since the air between cubes is a bad conductor.

whitemancanhop:
Also worth noting... be sure to tap the keg and fill the lines before adding your ice.  I did the reverse and the line froze up.

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: whitemancanhop on January 29, 2013, 01:11:23 PM ---Also worth noting... be sure to tap the keg and fill the lines before adding your ice.  I did the reverse and the line froze up.

--- End quote ---
Yes, that is a problem!

I am a fan of coils, but I've used both and they work fine.  Go with whatever :)  It all works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version