Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Agave Nectar Wheat Beer?  (Read 15734 times)

Offline cycleak

• 1st Kit
  • Aloha and Cheers to Brewing Beer!
Agave Nectar Wheat Beer?
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:33 am »
Aloha fellow Beer Enthusiasts!!!  I just brewed 5 gallons of an Agave Nectar Wheat Beer.  Was just wondering if anyone has used Agave in a brew before?  My wife had it in the kitchen so I thought I'd play mad scientist with it and add it to a Wheat Beer I was going to brew.  Used White Labs Platinum Series Bavarian Weizen Yeast (WLP-351) for this particular brew and 24.5 ounces of an Organic Agave Nectar.  Can't wait to see how this one ferments!!! I look forward to your replies!  Aloha from Hawaii!!!
😎🤙🍺🏝

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Agave Nectar Wheat Beer?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:28:07 am »
It's going to depend on how much you used. If you just used one (12 oz?) container in 5 gallons it probably won't be very noticeable. I used some in a beer once but I definitely didn't add enough because it provided no flavor at all.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 07:39:10 am »
I am extremely FOR the use of cactus in foods/beer.  I've had some terrific cactus salsas before.  However, there are few examples of cactus beer that I can think of off hand.  I've tried one commercial example that I know of, and it sucked.  If your recipe comes out good, do let us in on the details and the brand of agave nectar that you used!

Offline mesabrewery

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:44 am »
I have used agave before...can't remember now what the base was, may have been a pale ale...I know I used almost 24oz. in a 5 gallon batch. It added no recognizable flavor...but the ABV was pretty high due to the extra fermentable sugars

Cheers,
Aaron

...Sent from my phone with a beer in my hand...

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:49:25 am »
I know Breckenridge Brewery has an Agave Wheat beer. It taste more sweet to me. I have not used it but am thinking of trying something with Agave this summer. Let us know how it tastes.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
I have used Blue Agave Nectar in place of a sugar in a tripel.  It resulted in one of the best beers I've ever brewed, but I didn't feel the Agave added a tremendous amount vs had I just used table sugar. 

It is highly fermentable so if you are going to use it in large amounts, keep that in mind.  Treat it like invert syrup when formulating a recipe and you should be fine.

Offline cycleak

• 1st Kit
  • Aloha and Cheers to Brewing Beer!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »
Aloha!  Just wanted to let everyone know how the Agave Nectar Wheat Beer turned out.  After 5 days in the primary and then 7 days in the secondary I transferred it to a keg and let it set for two weeks at 70 degrees in my closet.  Then 24 hours in the fridge. After that injected 30 psi. of C02 and maintained that for 3 days.  Released the pressure and dialed it down to 7 psi then connected the tap.  From the first glass this beer turned out to be one of the best I have ever brewed.  Smooth flavor expected from a wheat beer but with a slightly sweet note on finishing.  I used 24.5 oz. of  Tajar Organic Agave Nectar in the boil for 30 minutes with White Labs WLP-351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast. I've had several friends (and a few strangers at a beer tasting) tell me that it was one of the best beers they've ever tried.  If anyone would like the full recipe just let me know and I'll be happy to post it.  Take care everyone and Aloha!
😎🤙🍺🏝

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:23 am »
Hell yeah we want the recipe man!

Offline dirtybiz

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:40 pm »
Post it Brah!!

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:17 pm »
One of the better brewers in our club brews an agave blonde regularly.  Haven't had it, but I know it gets great reviews.  Congrats on a successful brew!

PS as Jamil says, "all great brewers share their recipes" :-)
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles