General Category > Equipment and Software

Garage Setup

<< < (2/3) > >>

dak0415:
One of the guys in our club has one of those small 10 gallon electric water heaters that fit under the counter and feeds it with filtered water.  Turns it on a few hours before brewing and BOOM, instant strike water!

Jeff M:

--- Quote from: dak0415 on January 30, 2013, 08:01:20 AM ---One of the guys in our club has one of those small 10 gallon electric water heaters that fit under the counter and feeds it with filtered water.  Turns it on a few hours before brewing and BOOM, instant strike water!

--- End quote ---

Ill probably end up running a hose. the water in my hometown is quite soft so i can add salts etc to it for hardness.  ill get a breakdown of it from the local water company when brewing begins to tailor the water to what i want.  im more worried about drainage, as the frost line here is VERY deep, i have a feeling thats gonna be a headache.

rob_f:
I have a similar setup to yours.  My garage has three windows and two garage doors.  It is insulated and drywalled with a room above and GFI outlets.  I've been brewing in it for years.  My basement laundry room is on the wall of the house that the garage is attached to, so from the start I ran a hose from the laundry sink to the garage for chilling.  Last year I added a SS mop sink with hot and cold water.  The drain line is an open-sight drain into the laundry sink.  I had the plumber put cutoff valves on the incoming water in case of cold.  I'm in Maryland and the garage hasn't gone below 40F with the windows and doors closed.  I don't even try to keep it clean, though, with two cars coming and going. The sink has been great, but might not work in your situation.

gymrat:
This is my garage setup. Nothing fancy but definitely functional. Eventually I am going to get the scraps out of there that the previous owner left, maybe put a tub sink in and feed it with my rv hose. The small water heater sounds like a really good idea.

I try to keep it set up to where I can move everything off to the side and get a car in if I want to.

blatz:
I highly recommend stripping and acid cleaning your floor, then sealing with an epoxy based sealer - makes cleanup much, much easier and it looks nice too. 

As for electricity, plan out what equipment you will need, then consult with an electrician.  He'll probably also suggest some places to put outlets that you didn't think of.  GFCI is a must, as was mentioned, and if you do want to brew with all doors closed, a hood/vent fan combo is also needed.

Lots of "how tos" here: www.theelectricbrewery.com

Here's a pic of my brewery:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version