Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A New Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator  (Read 9518 times)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: A New Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »
Gone?  You mean, like, gone from this Earth??????

I had an email exchange with him a year or so ago.  He's very busy with job and family.  I don't know if he even still  brews any longer.  I got the impression that he'd become disillusioned with the homebrew world.
Aww, see this is sad. Do you think he got frustrated with trying to replicate the German beer flava flave and gave up? Or just didn't like the attitudes in the homebrewing community?
Personally, I don't think the elusive German beer flavor is attainable. But I still strive to make the cleanest lagers possible in the German style.

I have no idea and don't know enough to guess.  Just kinda his general attitude gave me that impression.

It's probably those clueless homebrewers spouting out things like "decoctions make no difference" and "just use a couple oz of melanoidin malt instead" and "triangle tests show now difference in decocted beers". I can't for the life of me remember which brewer it was but if it comes back I'll be sure to post :P

(sorry, couldn't resist :D)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 09:16:19 pm »
It sounds like a bad case of burnout to me.  A lot of intensely dedicated home brewers experience it.  Some come back after a few months or years away from the hobby; however, many more move onto something new after bringing balance back to their lives.  Home brewing can become an unhealthy obsession that can dominate one's life, especially if one has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.  I have been through home brewer burnout twice, so I know the feeling.  One can only burn the candle that hot for so long.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:47:33 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:18 pm »
It sounds like a bad case of burnout to me.  A lot of intensely dedicated home brewers experience it.  Some come back after few months or years away from the hobby; however, many more move onto something new after bringing balance back to their lives.  Home brewing can become an unhealthy obsession that can dominate one's life, especially if one has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.  I have been through home brewer burnout twice, so I know the feeling.  One can only burn the candle that hot for so long.
I'm in no danger. Just the other day I spent at least 10 minutes thinking about work.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 04:43:42 am »
It sounds like a bad case of burnout to me.  A lot of intensely dedicated home brewers experience it.  Some come back after few months or years away from the hobby; however, many more move onto something new after bringing balance back to their lives.  Home brewing can become an unhealthy obsession that can dominate one's life, especially if one has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.  I have been through home brewer burnout twice, so I know the feeling.  One can only burn the candle that hot for so long.

This has happened to me.  In 2011 & 2012, I barely brewed at all, and stopped visiting all of my favorite forums like this one.  Then I got back into my groove.  It happens.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:29 am »
I'm in no danger. Just the other day I spent at least 10 minutes thinking about work.

Laughed pretty hard because I resemble that.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 06:41:23 am »
It's said that men think about sex every 7 seconds. Yeah, it's kind of like that.  :-[

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 08:05:55 am »
This has happened to me.  In 2011 & 2012, I barely brewed at all, and stopped visiting all of my favorite forums like this one.  Then I got back into my groove.  It happens.

I have burned out a couple of times also, honestly.  Funny thing is that I burned out more on the interactive aspect (club, competitions, forums/mailing lists, etc.) than brewing.  The only time I ever paused my brewing was after my daughter was born (due to her being a micropreemie and requiring more of our time).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 11:14:19 am »
It's said that men think about sex every 7 seconds. Yeah, it's kind of like that.  :-[
I've heard that before. I think it depends on where you are at. Ft Lauderdale,  probably. Downtown Goldendale?  Not so much.