General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Bottling a Barleywine

<< < (2/3) > >>

kramerog:
Adding the rehydrated yeast with your carbonation sugar and then mix.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on January 30, 2013, 08:49:08 AM ---I just bottled a barley wine.

I wracked to an clean sanitized co2 purged keg containing my priming sugar and .5 packets rehydrated yeast (if you do not have access to kegs you can skip to the next section)
I sealed the keg up, gave it a couple good shakes rattle roll to mix everything well
Then I bottled with a bottling wand stuck in the end of the cobra tap.

If you do not have kegs,

Add the priming sugar and yeast to the bucket before racking and let the first part of the syphon get a bit of a whirlpool going. Nice thing about a barley wine is that a tine amount of oxidation is not going to hurt you at all, it might even give that extra note of complexity that you want (key word here is TINY)

--- End quote ---

Mort,

I like the idea.  A little extra effort, but worth it I would say.  I'm waiting for my bottling wand to arrive in the mail.  I guess I'll wait a little longer before bottling.

Dave

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 30, 2013, 08:53:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on January 30, 2013, 08:49:08 AM ---I just bottled a barley wine.

I wracked to an clean sanitized co2 purged keg containing my priming sugar and .5 packets rehydrated yeast (if you do not have access to kegs you can skip to the next section)
I sealed the keg up, gave it a couple good shakes rattle roll to mix everything well
Then I bottled with a bottling wand stuck in the end of the cobra tap.

If you do not have kegs,

Add the priming sugar and yeast to the bucket before racking and let the first part of the syphon get a bit of a whirlpool going. Nice thing about a barley wine is that a tine amount of oxidation is not going to hurt you at all, it might even give that extra note of complexity that you want (key word here is TINY)

--- End quote ---

Mort,

I like the idea.  A little extra effort, but worth it I would say.  I'm waiting for my bottling wand to arrive in the mail.  I guess I'll wait a little longer before bottling.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Can't hurt to wait a little longer. How long has it been at terminal gravity? I like to leave big beers for as long as I can spare the space (at least a couple three extra weeks) before bottling as well.

davidgzach:
It's been at FG for about a week, but I fermented it slow and steady at 63F.  I want to let it sit, but I have 4 fermenters tied up in my chest freezer with lagers and need to brew!  I'll try to be patient as I freed up a bucket the other night, kegging my AIPA.  That will at least get 5 gallons of something off of my to do list..... :D

It's at just about 3 weeks total.  I'm going to try and hold out for 4 weeks.

Dave

gauzzastrip:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 30, 2013, 09:19:56 AM ---It's been at FG for about a week, but I fermented it slow and steady at 63F.  I want to let it sit, but I have 4 fermenters tied up in my chest freezer with lagers and need to brew!  I'll try to be patient as I freed up a bucket the other night, kegging my AIPA.  That will at least get 5 gallons of something off of my to do list..... :D

It's at just about 3 weeks total.  I'm going to try and hold out for 4 weeks.

Dave

--- End quote ---
That sounds like a lot of brew!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version