Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recirculating wort return device  (Read 1989 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
recirculating wort return device
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:03 am »
I have been trying different ways to recirculate my wort at the end of mashing and tried this seemingly simple method last brewing session. It worked very well without any channelling that I could detect. It is a stainless pickup tube connected to a weld less fitting through the side of the keggle. On the other end is short length of tubing with a wort aerator inserted into it. I fitted a clamp over this because I was concerned it might come loose while mashing. The fit is very snug and the clamp is probably not needed but,....
The wort exits just below the top level of fluid in the mash when I am converting a typical 10 gallon batch. On the outside of the keggle through fitting I have a valve to regulate the flow rate. Of course this requires a pump, which I already had as part of my brew rig.
I really like the results of recirculating the wort until it flows into the MT clear as glass. And this latest step in the evolution of my brew rig clears the way for some type of heat exchange to better maintain my mash temp and perhaps perform step mashes.

Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
Re: recirculating wort return device
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:39:22 am »
I have used that very same plastic wort aerator on my RIMS system for years and am pleased with its fluid dispersion back into the mash. Run mine just below the mash fliud level.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins