Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to get specialized faucet adapters  (Read 7458 times)

Offline dmdesroches

• 1st Kit
Where to get specialized faucet adapters
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »
Has anyone found a source (online, local plumbing supply store) where you get specialized faucet adapters?

I just purchased a new faucet for our kitchen sink.  At Lowes it looked like the spray head adapter could be replaced with a faucet adapter to attach a garden hose to the faucet.  However, when I installed the sink and then tried various adapters I had, it appeared to be non-standard.

So I contacted the vendor (Giagni), and was told that it was an M14 adapter, and after a little more prodding, was given "1/2-14NPSM-2A" as the adapter.  I was able to get a 13/16-27 adapter (available at Lowes or Home Depot) to screw in, but this did not work as the "-27" threads are too fine.  The spray head assembly threads are a lot coarser (maybe -20??).

Any way, does anyone have a resource where I might find an adapter to attach a garden hose to the faucet?  I need this for filling and cleaning the carboys and kegs.  I also need this for running my city water through a filter to remove chlorine.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Where to get specialized faucet adapters
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »

Any way, does anyone have a resource where I might find an adapter to attach a garden hose to the faucet?  I need this for filling and cleaning the carboys and kegs.  I also need this for running my city water through a filter to remove chlorine.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Fermtech Makes an adapter for there products that will fit your needs i think.  It has the standard faucet threadins one one side, and on the other its has a hose thread, and the smaller threadings commonly used with home brewing(1/2 MPT i think)  I looked ont here website and couldnt find it, but my i got it at my LHBS for ~5 bucks.  Ill see if i can dig the specs out when i get home, or you could just email fermtech.
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:34:19 pm by fejjgw »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:50 am »
I think the faucet the OP is talking about is one of those where the faucet pulls out on a hose and can switch to a spray pattern.  Those do not have the standard faucet thread with the aerator that unscrews for the Fermtech adaptor.

If getting the parts is impossible, consider putting a tee in the line under the sink for a garden-hose connection.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »
There are three standard 1/2" threads 1/2-13, 1/2-20, 1/2-28.  I am wondering whether you may really have a metric thread on your faucet, which would be a real PITA to get an adapter for (at least at a normal store).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:44:31 pm »
If you have the 1/2npt14 that means 1/2 national pipe thread 14 threads per inch . So your adapter needs to be 1/2npt14 to hose fitting. The m14 could also stand for 14 millimeter which could be the case.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:52:27 pm by vinsthb »
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:57:15 pm »
If you have the 1/2npt14 that means 1/2 national pipe thread 14 threads per inch . So your adapter needs to be 1/2npt14 to hose fitting. The m14 could also stand for 14 millimeter which could be the case.

NPSM is a straight thread male connection as opposed to tapered thread (NPT).  It does come in 14 TPI.  From what I read NPSM should not be used for fluids or needs a sealant when used with fluids.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:03:42 pm by redbeerman »

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
I'd second the idea of a tee in the pipe under the sink.  It's a pretty easy change to make.  And if you have a friend with some rudimentary plumbing skills (and a few tools), I'll bet you could arrange a trade for some homebrew...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:06 pm »
I'd second the idea of a tee in the pipe under the sink.  It's a pretty easy change to make.  And if you have a friend with some rudimentary plumbing skills (and a few tools), I'll bet you could arrange a trade for some homebrew...

Said homebrew to be consumed AFTER installing the tee.

A hose-bib under the sink is an elegant way to solve this dilemma.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »
There are three standard 1/2" threads 1/2-13, 1/2-20, 1/2-28.  I am wondering whether you may really have a metric thread on your faucet, which would be a real PITA to get an adapter for (at least at a normal store).
IIRC, those are bolt thread pitches, not plumbing.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:49:44 am »
IIRC, those are bolt thread pitches, not plumbing.

You are correct.  Hence my second post.  Sorry for the confusion.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dmdesroches

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:47:54 am »
Yes, the 1/2-14NPSM does turn out to be a straight pipe thread.  I found a 1/2-14NPT adapter at a local hardware store that appears to work.  It fits snug and does not appear to be leaking with the hose connector setups I need to use, including my plate chiller.

The only thing I now need to do is to come up with a new way to filter my water.  The Brita filter I had been using needs a 15/16-27 connection, which would mean I would need a stepdown adapter.  Looks like I'll be rigging up something to work with the water filter/container I use for drinking.

I could tap off the plumbing under the sink, but I still would need some type of rigid holder if I attached the Brita filter to this.  The next time a plumber friend of mine comes over, I'll have him look at what else I might be able to do.

Thanks for the help!  8)