General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

I literally cannot wait any longer to try this

<< < (8/8)

denny:

--- Quote from: brewmichigan on February 08, 2013, 09:28:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 30, 2013, 02:55:11 PM ---I just took a gravity sample on a 10 day old IPA.  After I got my reading I put it in a PET bottle with a carbonator cap, hit it with 30 psi and stuck it in the freezer.  In an hour I'll have a cold, carbed sample to taste.

--- End quote ---

When you do this Denny, do you only fill the bottle half way?

--- End quote ---

I put about 16 oz. in a 20 oz. bottle.

euge:
I've damaged two of the carbonator caps by over-tightening. :-\ The more headspace in the bottle the quicker it carbs when using the cap. I do 1L and 2L bottles so can definitely see just going this route if I didn't already have kegs etc... It's real easy to get a feel for how much co2, the psi and volume of headspace carbonates the beer with shaking. Usually I'll give the bottle 3 successive blasts @40psi with shaking in between.

But first squeeze all the air out of the headspace. And it helps if the beer is cold.

In regards to bottles- I'll start cracking them on day three and sometimes they go into rotation then or I have to wait a bit longer like a week. How else does one learn about their beer. Not like beer is something sacrosanct that can't be touched.

topher.bartos:

--- Quote from: beersk on February 08, 2013, 08:40:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on February 01, 2013, 10:46:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: AmandaK on February 01, 2013, 10:41:40 AM ---at least you ain't drinkin' outta the fermenter!

--- End quote ---

Some people call it a racking cane...I call it a straw.

--- End quote ---
Just make sure you don't backwash, or you'll contaminate your beer!

I find that bottles are mostly carbonated in a week if you have them at 65-70F. They just need time to condition. I have a hefe in bottles right now that is stellar, and it's only been in the bottle for a little over a week. Hefes are good young though.

--- End quote ---

Young beer kind of tastes like spit to me. I thought it was an extract problem but I'm getting that with AG too. Apparently, I need to age it longer.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: topher.bartos on February 09, 2013, 09:23:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: beersk on February 08, 2013, 08:40:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on February 01, 2013, 10:46:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: AmandaK on February 01, 2013, 10:41:40 AM ---at least you ain't drinkin' outta the fermenter!

--- End quote ---

Some people call it a racking cane...I call it a straw.

--- End quote ---
Just make sure you don't backwash, or you'll contaminate your beer!

I find that bottles are mostly carbonated in a week if you have them at 65-70F. They just need time to condition. I have a hefe in bottles right now that is stellar, and it's only been in the bottle for a little over a week. Hefes are good young though.

--- End quote ---

Young beer kind of tastes like spit to me. I thought it was an extract problem but I'm getting that with AG too. Apparently, I need to age it longer.

--- End quote ---

Put a couple in the fridge for a few days/week.  See if they settle out faster and taste better.

Dave

erockrph:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on February 11, 2013, 11:47:26 AM ---Put a couple in the fridge for a few days/week.  See if they settle out faster and taste better.

--- End quote ---

It also helps the CO2 go into solution, and that really helps with the carbonation part of mouthfeel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version