General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Questions about using corn meal

<< < (2/4) > >>

alcaponejunior:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 01, 2013, 06:59:18 AM ---Actually, corn meal probably contains a percentage of beetle parts already.

--- End quote ---

They like you to call those "crunchies." :D

Jimmy K:
I wonder about any flavor differences with corn meal instead of whole or flaked corn.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 01, 2013, 05:17:34 PM ---I wonder about any flavor differences with corn meal instead of whole or flaked corn.

--- End quote ---
I think there is a difference. Flakes have a little less in my experience.

Once a friend asked Ron Jefferies about the differences in wheat - Raw vs flaked vs malted. He talked for close to 10 minutes about the flavors and how to use them in beers. In retrospect, I should have had a pencil and paper in my hands and not the pint of beer.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on February 01, 2013, 07:51:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 01, 2013, 05:17:34 PM ---I wonder about any flavor differences with corn meal instead of whole or flaked corn.

--- End quote ---

Once a friend asked Ron Jefferies about the differences in wheat - Raw vs flaked vs malted. He talked for close to 10 minutes about the flavors and how to use them in beers. In retrospect, I should have had a pencil and paper in my hands and not the pint of beer.

--- End quote ---
I figure it would make a difference since most cornmeal has the husk and germ removed.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 01, 2013, 08:52:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on February 01, 2013, 07:51:02 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I figure it would make a difference since most cornmeal has the husk and germ removed.

--- End quote ---

There is also the cereal mash that add some cooking. Jeff Renner makes his CAP these days often with polenta cereal mashed in a pressure cooker. That gives some more flavors due to the higher temp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version