Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Signs of Infection  (Read 17392 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Signs of Infection
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »
What are some signs of infection? Everyone advices that we anally watch over our wort so that infection won't set in.   But what would be a sign that your beer was infected?  I just put a light lager in the secondary to begin the lagering phase.  I noticed some little target like looking films on top of the fermented beer.  It literally looked like a perfect round target.  I felt it with my hand and it was very cohesive.  Not sure if this means my beer is infected.  It took forever (about one week) for the fermentation to begin.  I had to check the gravity several times to see if anything was happening.  Any thoughts?

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Signs of Infection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:28:24 pm »
I've had beers get infected before, but it has never been visible.  I've always detected it by smelling or tasting the off character (most commonly sour or band-aidy).

Offline industrialpunk

• 1st Kit
  • :)hello:)_
Re: Signs of Infection
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »
I recently had a wild yeast infection. The ferment took 72 hours to kick off. Never skipping a starter again. The ferment was very cloudy, never cleared up which was my first indication of something wrong. Final gravity was about 1.002 and tasted like solvent.
[+=..]~

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »
Yep...I had a Celebration clone that finished 6 points lower than predicted because it was infected.  Looked great, but smelled and tasted awful.  My first post, by the way.  8)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
If you are putting your hand on your beer, that might be a sign it's about to be infected.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:31:43 am »
What are some signs of infection? Everyone advices that we anally watch over our wort so that infection won't set in.   But what would be a sign that your beer was infected?  I just put a light lager in the secondary to begin the lagering phase.  I noticed some little target like looking films on top of the fermented beer.  It literally looked like a perfect round target.  I felt it with my hand and it was very cohesive.  Not sure if this means my beer is infected.  It took forever (about one week) for the fermentation to begin.  I had to check the gravity several times to see if anything was happening.  Any thoughts?

It might be a surface mold - I would pull it off (carefully, with a sanitized spoon) and see what happens.

Did it attenuate to where you wanted? How did the FG sample taste?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
Actually, watching over your wort won't do anything. Proper sanitation is the only way to prevent infection.  :D

A picture would help, but if it felt semi-solid that's probably not good. If it's done fermenting you could rack the beer from under it and hope it was all on the surface.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:04:56 am »
Infected beer can be cloudy, sour tasting, phenolic in nature (flavor/aroma), floating debris, etc...

It can be one or more of these issues. Post a pic if you can. That may help.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:57:50 am »
You can't always go by smell during primary initially. Normally, infections take time to manifest themselves.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:38 pm »
I'd pull a sample with a thief and taste it. The only way you're going to know for sure.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse