Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Couple of Cool Pics from Bohemian Pils brew this weekend.  (Read 2576 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Couple of Cool Pics from Bohemian Pils brew this weekend.
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:44 am »
Nothing earth shattering, just a couple of pics I took (with my phone actually) that I thought were cool from yesterday's brew.

Love it when I'm already seeing signs of activity before I went to work this morning  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Couple of Cool Pics from Bohemian Pils brew this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:29 am »
Good looking wort.  And I like the wavy heating element.  You kettle looks like a porcupine inside, what are the various sensors for?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:47 am »
Good looking wort.  And I like the wavy heating element.  You kettle looks like a porcupine inside, what are the various sensors for?

yeah it does kinda. ;D

the whole explanation of my brewery is here:  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0

But basically, there are two thermometers - one is the stock thermo that comes on all Blichmann Boilermakers, the other, at about 2 o'clock in the picture is an RTD hooked up to the control panel which fires the heating element.   

at 4 o'clock is the whirlpool return arm and and 6 o'clock toward the bottom of the kettle is the pickup tube.

finally,coming in at 7 o'clock is the tubing coming from my mash tun to transfer the wort - its not attached and is just hanging in there.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
I am debating whether or not to put in a whirlpool arm in my kettle. Is it worth it to you?
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:24 pm »
what's with the creepy looking hands in the bottom ;D
Don AHA member

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »
I am debating whether or not to put in a whirlpool arm in my kettle. Is it worth it to you?

I have one in my kettle so I can run the wort through a counter flow chiller and back in.  Although it works well, I still give it a good stir and let it sit for a few before I turn on the pump.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:11 am »

it is worth it to me - gets a decent whirlpool going and is simpler to be able to just hook up the QD and open the ball valve when recirculating than trying to drape and secure the 'out' hose via the top of the kettle, IMO.

what's with the creepy looking hands in the bottom ;D

its alive!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:56:35 am »
Further reinforcement that I need to go electric! I like....
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis