General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Signs of Infection

(1/2) > >>

DW:
What are some signs of infection? Everyone advices that we anally watch over our wort so that infection won't set in.   But what would be a sign that your beer was infected?  I just put a light lager in the secondary to begin the lagering phase.  I noticed some little target like looking films on top of the fermented beer.  It literally looked like a perfect round target.  I felt it with my hand and it was very cohesive.  Not sure if this means my beer is infected.  It took forever (about one week) for the fermentation to begin.  I had to check the gravity several times to see if anything was happening.  Any thoughts?

ajk:
I've had beers get infected before, but it has never been visible.  I've always detected it by smelling or tasting the off character (most commonly sour or band-aidy).

industrialpunk:
I recently had a wild yeast infection. The ferment took 72 hours to kick off. Never skipping a starter again. The ferment was very cloudy, never cleared up which was my first indication of something wrong. Final gravity was about 1.002 and tasted like solvent.

jeremy0209:
Yep...I had a Celebration clone that finished 6 points lower than predicted because it was infected.  Looked great, but smelled and tasted awful.  My first post, by the way.  8)

reverseapachemaster:
If you are putting your hand on your beer, that might be a sign it's about to be infected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version