Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: t-58 refermentation  (Read 1572 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
t-58 refermentation
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
Hello! i'm going to referment in bottle a dark belgian strong ale with OG 1080 using t-58. I did a batch using that yeast and a little priming sugar but at the end it taste a little bit sweeter than i expect.

For this batch the beer gravity after 3 weeeks on fermenter is 1020...if i add t-58 do you recommend me to add also sugar? or do you think that there is enough sugar on the wort for the secondary yeast without priming? I dont want to have that residual sugar taste that priming impart.

I inoculate enough yeast on the primary, aereate well and had a very good and healty fermentation.

Thanks!

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
Re: t-58 refermentation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:21:08 pm »
Couple of things to consider.  Is it finished fermenting?  If it is finished (same gravity reading over several days) then add sugar at bottling.  If it is not finished, I would recommend waiting for it to finish, then add sugar at bottling.

Another thing, what is the estimated attenuation of the primary yeast vs. the T58 bottling yeast. If T58 attenuates more than the primary yeast then it will take the gravity lower in the bottles and you need to account for that when calculating the amount of priming sugar to add.

If it is not finished, and you want to bottle it, it is really a guessing game to decide whether you need sugar or not. Too many variables to guess at, unless you have a lot of experience with that recipe, those particular yeasts, and their relative ability to attenuate.

Also, the priming sugar should not impart any residual sweetness. It should all ferment, unless the yeast is pooped out, but my experience with T58 is that it will be fine in a 1.080 beer and will ferment all the priming sugar.