General Category > Beer Recipes

basic blonde ale

<< < (2/5) > >>

surfin.mikeg:

--- Quote from: goschman on February 01, 2013, 02:38:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on February 01, 2013, 02:28:44 PM ---I know don't want it too dry, but 15% crystal malt in something this delicate seems like it would be overpowering to me. I'd cut both in half.

--- End quote ---

Good point. I always forget that honey malt is more or less crystal. I might leave the honey where it is and decrease the carapils...say 5% honey, 5% carapils? I know that isn't half...

--- End quote ---

I'm using 2% - 3% carapil.  I get the effect I'm wanting and don't see a need to use more, unless wanting a crazy silky IPA.  I target roughly a half pound per 5 gallon recipe and scale/adjust as needed.

What are you looking for regarding the Honey malt?

goschman:

--- Quote from: surfin_mikeg on February 02, 2013, 12:33:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: goschman on February 01, 2013, 02:38:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on February 01, 2013, 02:28:44 PM ---I know don't want it too dry, but 15% crystal malt in something this delicate seems like it would be overpowering to me. I'd cut both in half.

--- End quote ---

Good point. I always forget that honey malt is more or less crystal. I might leave the honey where it is and decrease the carapils...say 5% honey, 5% carapils? I know that isn't half...

--- End quote ---

I'm using 2% - 3% carapil.  I get the effect I'm wanting and don't see a need to use more, unless wanting a crazy silky IPA.  I target roughly a half pound per 5 gallon recipe and scale/adjust as needed.

What are you looking for regarding the Honey malt?

--- End quote ---

Honey flavor and sweetness

surfin.mikeg:

--- Quote from: goschman on February 02, 2013, 06:29:19 PM ---Honey flavor and sweetness

--- End quote ---

I've not used that, anyone else?  A data-point is that I've had good results when pouring honey into the wort when the boil is done.  Chill to 180, mix it in, continue chilling.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: surfin_mikeg on February 03, 2013, 10:59:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: goschman on February 02, 2013, 06:29:19 PM ---Honey flavor and sweetness

--- End quote ---

I've not used that, anyone else?  A data-point is that I've had good results when pouring honey into the wort when the boil is done.  Chill to 180, mix it in, continue chilling.

--- End quote ---
That will work fine but the honey is all fructose and glucose.  It will ferment out completely, might add flavor but shouldn't add sweetness at all.

goschman:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 04, 2013, 07:37:20 AM ---
--- Quote from: surfin_mikeg on February 03, 2013, 10:59:15 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
That will work fine but the honey is all fructose and glucose.  It will ferment out completely, might add flavor but shouldn't add sweetness at all.

--- End quote ---

In my experience, honey malt works better than honey for imparting actual flavor and sweetness. 5% seems to be the perfect amount for me to get a nice influence that is not overpowering whatsoever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version