Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6 row + 6 adjunc, cream ale (red and white wheat, barley, rye, oats, and tritica  (Read 2106 times)

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
Hello all. The other day at the store I saw cereal that has rolled: hard red wheat, white wheat, barley, rye, oats and triticale (in that order).

I bought some 6 row because I wanted to try the flavor. I'm thinking of throwing this all together and making a creamy cream ale. Possibly hop with some Hallertau or maybe Galena and ferment with a clean yeast.

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
I just tasted a handful of the rolled grains. They broke down easily when I chewed them and tasted great. I actually tasted 2 handfuls  :P

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
If there are no added nutritional items - iron - that may be bad for beer, you can give it a try, the 6 row will convert the adjuncts. You could use half or more of the cereal and it will convert. Lautering might be an issue, but if the wheat and oats have been flaked then it will lauter. Have some rice hulls on hand just in case.

One friend in the club has made some surprisingly good beers using cereal - Lucky Charms in a stout and Captain Crunch in another beer that I have forgotten the style for.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
Hey awesome!

Thank you for the information. I will be doing BIAB so I dont need to worry about a stuck sparge. I'm thinking 80% 6 row and 20% cereal grains. From what it looks like, its more wheat than the others. I have chelated Iron I could add with the yeast nutrient too.

I would love to hear more about the lucky charms and the captain crunch. Could you actually taste the cereal in those beers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Hey awesome!

Thank you for the information. I will be doing BIAB so I dont need to worry about a stuck sparge. I'm thinking 80% 6 row and 20% cereal grains. From what it looks like, its more wheat than the others. I have chelated Iron I could add with the yeast nutrient too.

I would love to hear more about the lucky charms and the captain crunch. Could you actually taste the cereal in those beers.
Iron is not good in beer. Do not add.

The Lucky Charms stout not so much, the Captain Crunch yes you could taste it. Don't know the recipe details.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
I think it sounds delicious.  Brew it and send me a bottle. :D