Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mozzarella  (Read 13819 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Mozzarella
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:59:47 am »
We made some mozzarella last night. First time making any cheese and it was pretty cool! What should we try next?

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:06:39 am »
This is on my list of things to do. I love fresh Mozzarella!
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mozzarella
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:27:00 am »

Yeah, I'd love to get into cheesemaking.  I'm a cheeseaholic, though, and I hate to think what I'd look like with cheese AND beer around all the time!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:39:59 am »
The LHBS has added cheese making kits and supplies. The wife is looking at those each time. Mozzarella is quick and easy, and fresh is great on pizza. She has the pizza thing down now, and fresh Mozzarella is the next step.

Nice pics. I might just show those to her.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:48:38 am »
The LHBS has added cheese making kits and supplies. The wife is looking at those each time. Mozzarella is quick and easy, and fresh is great on pizza. She has the pizza thing down now, and fresh Mozzarella is the next step.

Yeah, my LHBS has both cheese making and coffee roasting equipment.  I just close my eyes when I walk by the display.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »
I have to admit, the coffee roasting is what has my interest. My LHBS is not into that, yet.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:56:28 pm »
I have to admit, the coffee roasting is what has my interest. My LHBS is not into that, yet.

A good friend down the road is a killer homebrewer who also makes cheese and sausage and roasts coffee, has a vineyard and makes large amounts of wine and raises sheep.  His wife spins the wool.  I feel SO inadequate!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »
The last mozz I made the pH was missed when trying to rush the process. Somehow I made balls of it and vac sealed each. After 3-4 weeks in the fridge it became an excellent spreadable cheese similar to Laughing Cow.

I just love making cheese.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »

Yeah, I'd love to get into cheesemaking.  I'm a cheeseaholic, though, and I hate to think what I'd look like with cheese AND beer around all the time!

You'd look like me ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »

Cheeeeeeese......
That's why I don't come up to Eugene that often.  My market of price bill is $200 just for cheese when I get to the city.  I've had good luck making Goat's milk brie, but I've got to travel to get the fresh goat milk and
then there's making space in the beer fridge and the fact that it almost all reaches peak maturity at the same time so it seems to be feast or famine. Half the fun is just learning what goes into these processes though. You end up with so much appreciation for those who have perfected the craft.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:50:46 am »

I'll have to consider this very carefully.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 07:00:51 am »

It was pretty easy and quick (at least relative to beer, or even bread). Start to finish it took about an hour - one of those "That's it?" moments.
Cheeeeeeese......
That's why I don't come up to Eugene that often.  My market of price bill is $200 just for cheese when I get to the city.  I've had good luck making Goat's milk brie, but I've got to travel to get the fresh goat milk and
then there's making space in the beer fridge and the fact that it almost all reaches peak maturity at the same time so it seems to be feast or famine. Half the fun is just learning what goes into these processes though. You end up with so much appreciation for those who have perfected the craft.
Goat cheese would be cool. I know there are a few goat farms around here, I'll have to look into it. I work for the Dept. of Agriculture so somebody at work must know.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:51 am »
I love smoked Gouda and it is so expensive here, so I make my own.
Some of my early efforts... I have since then bought proper molds to
make it look better. The taste is the same, yummy.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:22:10 am »
We made some mozzarella last night. First time making any cheese and it was pretty cool! What should we try next?

Care to share the recipe you used? Rennet or lemon juice? Any bacteria?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:45 am »
The recipe and process were very similar to this.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomakemozzarellacheese.html

Except I used 2tsp citric acid and also added 1/8 tsp kid lipase to the cold milk.  I also added calcium chloride just before the rennet because the milk was pasteurized.
AHA Member since 2006