Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pump noise  (Read 6488 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: pump noise
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:11 am »
Have you considered cavitation as a noise source? Make sure the inlet is free of kinks or obstructions. Can you mount the pump lower, so that there is more head on the inlet?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 12:11:37 pm »
Does the motor have brushes? Or a place to put a drop of oil? Sometimes taking the brushes out and hitting them on sandpaper cleans the contact and helps. Is there a capacitor on the motor that could be going ( if so switch between motors and see if it still makes noise) Is the one making noise running hotter or if you can turn shaft harder.  Good luck
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »
Have you considered cavitation as a noise source? Make sure the inlet is free of kinks or obstructions. Can you mount the pump lower, so that there is more head on the inlet?
I'll check it out.  It is definitely not working right (not chilling) despite the good flow of glycol through the system I saw last week.  I'm going to need to take it apart again, and don't have time today.  I might not have time next week either, we start pouring in our second location next Thursday and there is a lot to do.  Including replacing the ballast on a fluorescent light, which is somehow my job ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 12:15:13 pm »
Does the motor have brushes? Or a place to put a drop of oil? Sometimes taking the brushes out and hitting them on sandpaper cleans the contact and helps. Is there a capacitor on the motor that could be going ( if so switch between motors and see if it still makes noise) Is the one making noise running hotter or if you can turn shaft harder.  Good luck
These are good ideas, but because the noise goes away when I loosen the nut on the pump head I figure it is something in between the inlet and outlet of the glycol system.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:36 pm »
Is the noise coming from the motor or the pump?  From what I can gather, the pump is a Procon Model# 111A100F11AA.  It does not come with a motor.  You have to attach one separately.  Are you operating it above 150F?  That's it's upper limit.

•Carbonator-Mount Rotary Vane Pumps
•These positive displacement pumps run quietly, have low vibration and pulsation characteristics, and are virtually maintenance-free. They can handle many liquids with low lubricating characteristics at relatively high pressures. Flow remains constant over entire pressure range. Most models are self-priming (except 6XE92 and 6XE95). Metal-to-metal contact is eliminated, resulting in low starting torque. 303 stainless steel shaft, stainless steel rotors, and built-in relief valve. Pumps mount on NEMA 56C frame motors (adapter kit sold separately) for a coupling drive, or can be attached to a NEMA 48YZ motor with a V-band clamp. High-temperature plastic internal bypass valve eliminates the need for an external relief valve on all models except 6XE92 and 6XE95. (6XE82 and 6XE84 have internal solid-brass bypass valves. Brass and stainless steel also available on all other models; call your local branch. ) For pumping water and moderately aggressive liquids, carbonated water for beverage dispensers, ultra-filtration, deionized water, reverse osmosis systems, espresso coffee machines, lubrication spraying, insecticide spraying, soap dispensing, distilled water, fire-resistant fluids, hydraulic oil, steam cleaning machines with clean water, cooling circulation, pressure booster, atomizing/misting humidification systems, laboratory pumps, pilot plants, boiler feeds, textile machines, car wash machines, water purification, and fire jockey pumps.
•Max. operating pressure: 200 psi
•Max. fluid temperature: 150°F
•Relief valves preset to 250 psi
•All pumps NSF rated, except 6XE82 and 6EX84
•This item has been restricted from sale in the following states: [CA, VT]
•California Proposition 65 Warning: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Rotary Vane Pump, Inlet/Outlet NPTF 3/8 In, 100 GPH, Relief Pressure Max 250 PSI, Brass Construction, With Filter Strainer, External Relief Not Required, By-Pass, Carbonator Clamp Style Mounting, 100 Mesh Filter, Max Temp 150 F, Built-In Relief Valve, Relief Valve PSI Setting 200, 303 Stainless Steel Shaft, GPH @ 50 PSI 102, @ 150 PSI 98, HP @ 50 PSI 1/4, @ 150 PSI 1/3, Min Flow 94 GPH, Max Flow 112 GPH
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:57:13 pm by redbeerman »
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:44 pm »
Wow, thanks for all that red!

It is pushing glycol, the temp is 30-40F.  I would guess it is coming from the pump and not the motor, since it gets quiet when the nut on the pump is loosened.  I suppose it could be from the motor though.

Like I said, I need to take it apart and figure it out.  I'll let you know what I come up with.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:59 am »
Perhaps the impeller is contacting the housing?  When you loosen the nut it creates enough clearance for the impeller to turn freely... but that also allows air in.  Check the seals on the housing.  They may be worn and allow overtightening, moving the housing into the impeller's rotational path.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »
Maybe - I'll check that out too.
Tom Schmidlin