General Category > Equipment and Software

Motorized whirlpool?

(1/3) > >>

yeastmaster:
I've never been able to get a very effective whirlpool in my kettle (10 gal polarware kettle).  I don't have a pump to recirculate the wort.  I use an immersion chiller which makes it difficult for me to whirlpool with a spoon.  I was wondering if anyone had ever attached a small paddle to a motor to sit over the top of the kettle and stir/form a whirlpool while chilling?

weithman5:
i have an old electric rc motor from a old rc boat. with  the propeller. i actually thought of hooking this up to the side of my kettle for fun.  not really worth the effort for me but fun

Hokerer:

--- Quote from: yeastmaster on February 02, 2013, 04:33:23 PM ---I was wondering if anyone had ever attached a small paddle to a motor to sit over the top of the kettle and stir/form a whirlpool while chilling?

--- End quote ---

I've kicked an idea like that around in my head from time to time.  Need to address issues like avoiding aeration when it's still too hot, making sure no 'motor goop' (lubricants, etc.) drips into the wort, etc.   Never have gotten around to actually doing anything, though.

yeastmaster:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 02, 2013, 05:19:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: yeastmaster on February 02, 2013, 04:33:23 PM ---I was wondering if anyone had ever attached a small paddle to a motor to sit over the top of the kettle and stir/form a whirlpool while chilling?

--- End quote ---

I've kicked an idea like that around in my head from time to time.  Need to address issues like avoiding aeration when it's still too hot, making sure no 'motor goop' (lubricants, etc.) drips into the wort, etc.   Never have gotten around to actually doing anything, though.

--- End quote ---

I feel like I've seen someone build something like this on some forum somewhere.  I envision a small paddle on a central shaft attached to a motor either directly or by belt all mounted  on a frame that sits over the kettle.  Seems like it would be a fun thing to try and build but that being said it might be a lot easier to just buy a pump and recirculate to make the whirlpool....

dcbc:
You can run a paint mix-stir on a drill.  Just run it slow so you don't aerate the wort.  You will get a good spin going in no time.  Won't cost much if you already have a drill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version