Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: floating rice hulls  (Read 3705 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
floating rice hulls
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:12:50 am »
When I add rice hulls in my mash (I will both mix some in with the dry grain, before mashing, and periodically sprinkle a some in the tun while adding the grain) I notice that I always have a bunch floating at the top.  It looks as though I just threw some at the end for good measure.  Anybody else have this?  I don't think they do a whole lotta good there at the top.

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: floating rice hulls
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:33 am »
There's always a few floaters for me, too. Was never a problem.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

narvin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:15:56 am »
You can soak them in water before adding them to the mash to get them more hydrated.  This will help them to sink and also avoid more wort loss to absorption.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:19 am »
If your mash doesn't stick, the floaters don't matter.  I usually stir half way through mashing and that also seems to take them down since they've had time to hydrate.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
You can soak them in water before adding them to the mash to get them more hydrated.  This will help them to sink and also avoid more wort loss to absorption.
That is an excellent idea.  Thank you.  I will try that next time I use rice hulls.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

narvin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:05 pm »
That is an excellent idea.  Thank you.  I will try that next time I use rice hulls.

You're welcome, I think it came from Gordon Strong :-)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:02:13 pm »

You're welcome, I think it came from Gordon Strong :-)
Prehydrating will help keep them from floating, but it will have no real effect on wort absorption.  You could simply compensate for the hydrating water by adding a little more water to the mash - the sugars will migrate into the hulls (if they can) whether the hulls are wet at the start or not.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:28:46 am »
Thanks!  Yeah, I don't get any stuck mashes.  It's just an annoyance.  Rice hulls are cheap anyway. 
I appreciate y'all weighing in.