Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hopslam Clone?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Hopslam Clone?
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
I threw a recipe together last night to try and clone Hopslam, or create something along the same lines, or something just awesome. Here's what I have. What are your thoughts?

Batch = 5.5 gallons
OG = 1.098
60 minute mash @ 153
Mash out @ 175

American Two Row Pale = 15.5 lb
Caramel/Crystal 20L = 1 lb
Carapils = 8 oz
Caramel/Crystal 40L = 4 oz
Corn Sugar = 1.5 lb (added at the beginning of the boil)
Honey = 2 lb (last 10 minutes of boil)

60 minute = .5 oz Columbus
60 minute = 1 oz Simcoe
30 minute = 1 oz Centennial
0 minute = 3 oz Amarillo
0 minute = 1 oz Simcoe
Dry hop = 3 oz Simcoe (12-14 days)
Dry hop = 1 oz Amarillo (12-14 days)
Dry hop = .5 oz Simcoe (5 days)
Dry hop = .5 oz Amarillo (5 days)

White Labs WLP001 California Ale
WYeast 1056 American Ale
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hopslam Clone?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:13:33 am »
I did not run the IBU level for that, but Hopslam is in the 60s. What do yo have?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:20 am »
Yeah, I have heard it is in the upper 60's. I have about 75 here. I have thought about cutting the Centennial addition to 1/2 oz to cut the IBUs to 65 or 3/4 oz for about 70, but I will probably leave it at 1 oz so that I can do"something along the line of" lol.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:29:33 am »
Also, should I maybe go with a yeast that is more alcohol tolerant? Both WL Cali and WYeast American are tolerant of 11% ABV. That's cutting it pretty close to the 10% that I hope to get out of this beer. If so, what would you recommend?
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:35:56 am »
Well since you asked, if you have the time culture op some from a bottle of one of the beers like Bells Amber or Pale Ale. I have done that for some of my Bells clones.

The Chico yeast 001/1056 will do it, make sure you have a big starter, aerate well when you pitch, and even give it some more air when it is 8 to 12 hours after the pitch. Control those temperatures so it doesn't get too hot or estery.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:44:23 am »
Well since you asked, if you have the time culture op some from a bottle of one of the beers like Bells Amber or Pale Ale. I have done that for some of my Bells clones.

I read about doing this last night. How long does take to get enough yeast from that little bit? Also, what would be your process of culturing yeast from a bottle?
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
I buy a couple bottles. Make up a starter with the ratio of 100 grams DME for 1000 ml. Start small for this, maybe 250 or 500 ml in size. Open the bottle, sanitize the opening, pour the beer in a glass leaving a little, give it another shot of sanitizer if you wish, swirl and dump the dregs in the starter. Repeat for the second bottle.

Then step it up to 1 or 2 liters, then again to what ever yeastcalc.com says.

More time. More work, but you have the Bells house strain that way.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »
Thanks! That's what I figured you would do, but just wanted to make sure. I will probably be getting some Hopslam here soon, so I get working on this. Do you use yeast nutrient in this type of starter? I can't imagine that the yeast is in tip top shape at the beginning.
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »
Thanks! That's what I figured you would do, but just wanted to make sure. I will probably be getting some Hopslam here soon, so I get working on this. Do you use yeast nutrient in this type of starter? I can't imagine that the yeast is in tip top shape at the beginning.
Get a lower gravity beer like the Amber, the yeast will be pooped out in the Hopslam.

Yes, a little nutrient is a good thing in a starter.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:41 am »
should I maybe go with a yeast that is more alcohol tolerant?

WLP090 is neutral in character and more alcohol tolerant than 001. And it flocs out much faster. I've had good success with it twice now.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline mypenguin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »
I made an extract Hopslam clone back in September and it was awesome.  I did a BIAB version about 3 weeks ago of it and am bottling it this weekend.  I searched the web for clone recipes for quite a while and stumbled upon this one and it seemed to make the most sense to me for some reason.  So no, this isn't mine, but I did make it.

Extract:
Hopslam Clone Extract Recipe 5 gal

10 lbs light extract 
3 lbs honey @ flameout  (the original recipe I copied this from called for 4lbs, but that seemed like too much)
Steeping grains- 1 lb Aromatic
2 paks yeast Safale US-05
Steep grains for 45 minutes. then add DME and start the boil.

Hop Schedule:

1 Simcoe 75
1 cascade 60
2 centennial 10
1 cascade 5
1 vanguard flameout
1 amarillo flameout
1 hallertau flameout
2 simcoe dry

For the all grain, I changed it to
12Lb 2-row
1Lb aromatic
3lbs of honey
same hop schedule.
same yeast.

Took about 3 weeks to get the carbonation in the bottle, but it was great, probably my best beer I have made.  Excited to see what the all grain version is like since it was about 50% cheaper.

Offline mypenguin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:19 am »
I did a side by side last night with a bottle of mine (in the bottle 2.5 weeks) and a hopslam on tap.  Mine was sweeter up front, especially when cold but as they warmed up a little they became very close to being the same beer.  The color was dead on.  I may drop a little honey next time and use some honey malt instead and see what that does for the up front sweetness.  Just letting you know how my first all grain recipe for that clone worked out.   

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Hopslam Clone?
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:29 am »
I did a side by side last night with a bottle of mine (in the bottle 2.5 weeks) and a hopslam on tap.  Mine was sweeter up front, especially when cold but as they warmed up a little they became very close to being the same beer.  The color was dead on.  I may drop a little honey next time and use some honey malt instead and see what that does for the up front sweetness.  Just letting you know how my first all grain recipe for that clone worked out.   
You probably want to do the opposite actually, and add more honey if you want it to finish a bit drier. Honey is almost completely fermentable, so will make the beer less sweet once it ferments out. Honey malt will leave additional residual sweetness.
Mark Gres

Offline mypenguin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:39 pm »

The up front sweetness did diminish after a few more weeks in the bottle.  I entered this in my first homebrew competition recently and it won the Pale Ale category, and runner up for best in show.  Just throwing that out there.  Now I need to find the original post I got the recipe from and thank that guy.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 03:01:44 pm »

The up front sweetness did diminish after a few more weeks in the bottle.  I entered this in my first homebrew competition recently and it won the Pale Ale category, and runner up for best in show.  Just throwing that out there.  Now I need to find the original post I got the recipe from and thank that guy.

Congratulations, but doesn't that look a little strong to be in the Pale Ale category?  What was the original gravity?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995