General Category > Beer Recipes

Hopslam Clone?

<< < (2/4) > >>

fmader:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on February 02, 2013, 11:35:56 AM ---Well since you asked, if you have the time culture op some from a bottle of one of the beers like Bells Amber or Pale Ale. I have done that for some of my Bells clones.

--- End quote ---

I read about doing this last night. How long does take to get enough yeast from that little bit? Also, what would be your process of culturing yeast from a bottle?

hopfenundmalz:
I buy a couple bottles. Make up a starter with the ratio of 100 grams DME for 1000 ml. Start small for this, maybe 250 or 500 ml in size. Open the bottle, sanitize the opening, pour the beer in a glass leaving a little, give it another shot of sanitizer if you wish, swirl and dump the dregs in the starter. Repeat for the second bottle.

Then step it up to 1 or 2 liters, then again to what ever yeastcalc.com says.

More time. More work, but you have the Bells house strain that way.

fmader:
Thanks! That's what I figured you would do, but just wanted to make sure. I will probably be getting some Hopslam here soon, so I get working on this. Do you use yeast nutrient in this type of starter? I can't imagine that the yeast is in tip top shape at the beginning.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: fmader on February 02, 2013, 12:58:50 PM ---Thanks! That's what I figured you would do, but just wanted to make sure. I will probably be getting some Hopslam here soon, so I get working on this. Do you use yeast nutrient in this type of starter? I can't imagine that the yeast is in tip top shape at the beginning.

--- End quote ---
Get a lower gravity beer like the Amber, the yeast will be pooped out in the Hopslam.

Yes, a little nutrient is a good thing in a starter.

DrewG:

--- Quote ---should I maybe go with a yeast that is more alcohol tolerant?
--- End quote ---

WLP090 is neutral in character and more alcohol tolerant than 001. And it flocs out much faster. I've had good success with it twice now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version