General Category > All Grain Brewing

My First Batch Sparge

<< < (3/10) > >>

theDarkSide:

--- Quote from: denny on February 11, 2013, 09:19:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: chadchaney97 on February 11, 2013, 09:06:12 AM ---So are most of you batch spargers adding your water at higher temps than 168?

--- End quote ---

Yeah.  I'm never under 190.

--- End quote ---

Same here...usually around 190 F. 

alcaponejunior:
Is there any harm in sparging with water that's less than 170 after equilibrium is reached?  I've been batch sparging using 172F water, which probably equalizes at considerably less than 168F (I haven't bothered to measure it at this point).  I didn't think it would matter for me because it's going straight to the boil pot from there anyway, and I'm not doing any fancy mashes that require special procedures. 

grod:
I just adopted the temp BeerSmith threw at me which is 75.6C (168F) but may have to try it at higher temps.

love

g

greatplainsbrewer:
Check with Denny but I don't think there are problems with not hitting a mash out.  I suspect things will be smoother at about 170F but you will stop the enzymes anyway with the boil.  It will take longer to boil if you sparge cool

malzig:

--- Quote from: alcaponejunior on February 16, 2013, 06:00:08 PM ---Is there any harm in sparging with water that's less than 170 after equilibrium is reached?  I've been batch sparging using 172F water, which probably equalizes at considerably less than 168F (I haven't bothered to measure it at this point).

--- End quote ---
Nope.  It may be important that you not go too high, but there isn't really a "too low" to worry about.  I usually sparge with water in the mid to low 160s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version