General Category > All Grain Brewing

My First Batch Sparge

<< < (2/10) > >>

fmader:
I've never not batch sparged. When I started all grain brewing, I batch sparged because it was easy. For the first few batches, I hit my numbers pretty well. I figured why spend money and time if this method is getting me to where I need to go. Don't fix something that isn't broke. I get about 70% efficiency, and I'm usually within my target gravity by +\- .002, which at this point in my brewing career is good enough for me.

chadchaney97:
So are most of you batch spargers adding your water at higher temps than 168?

mmitchem:
I will do anywhere between 168 and 170.

--- Quote from: chadchaney97 on February 11, 2013, 09:06:12 AM ---So are most of you batch spargers adding your water at higher temps than 168?

--- End quote ---

denny:

--- Quote from: chadchaney97 on February 11, 2013, 09:06:12 AM ---So are most of you batch spargers adding your water at higher temps than 168?

--- End quote ---

Yeah.  I'm never under 190.

hokerer:

--- End quote ---

The same way you do the calc of your strike water temp to hit you desired mash temp, you can do a similar calc for your batch sparge water to hit as close to 168.  Depending on grain and water quantities and mash temp, sparge water may end up andywhere from 10 or so degrees higher up to boiling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version