Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oyster stout  (Read 9941 times)

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Re: Oyster stout
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:59:32 am »
I recently brewed a crab stout. 

Threw 4, live Dungeness crabs in the boil pot with about 20 minutes left.  Once the floated to the top, we pulled them out.  Also added about 2tbs of Old Bay in a ten gallon batch.  This is for a "strangebrewfest" held close to me each year. 

We've been drinking it the last couple days, and it's actually very good.  So far, all who have tasted like it.  (or they are just being nice) 

The hardest part was cleaning the outside of the crab. 

That's bold!  Sounds delicious!  I would love to try that idea myself some day...  8)

Oyster stouts haven't been super common for me to try, but the two I have tried, I liked.  They were mostly a dry stout with just a tinge of oystery-ness.  Too much oyster would be pretty bad, IMO, but a little bit adds complexity.

Oysters should be done in a shot glass with cocktail and hot sauce ::)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 03:11:29 am »
I recently had a bottle of Marston's Oyster Stout. There are no oysters in the beer, but they claim it goes well with oysters. I enjoyed it with smoked pilchard.

Offline nunciyo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:49 pm »
I recently tried

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/87764

It was tasty, but I guess I was expecting the flavor contribution to add more. It was a good stout with a bit of a slight chalky/salty taste to it.

"Marooned on Hog Island has an ABV of 7.9% and was brewed using Magnum and Willamette hops and top fermenting ale yeast, Pale Malt, 120L Crystal Malt, Rolled Oats, Carafa Malt, Chocolate Malt and White Wheat, along with the most special of ingredients: 450 pounds of Hog Island Sweetwater oyster shells."

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:23 am »
I recently brewed a crab stout. 

Threw 4, live Dungeness crabs in the boil pot with about 20 minutes left.  Once the floated to the top, we pulled them out.  Also added about 2tbs of Old Bay in a ten gallon batch.  This is for a "strangebrewfest" held close to me each year. 

We've been drinking it the last couple days, and it's actually very good.  So far, all who have tasted like it.  (or they are just being nice) 

The hardest part was cleaning the outside of the crab.

Somebody went under a dock
And there they saw a rock
It wasn't a rock
It was a Choc Lobster!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 07:31:04 am »
+1 to the Marston's - a good beer.  I also had another "Oyster Stout" ( name eludes me), which made sure to mention that it contained no oyster components, that it was just a stout brewed to compliment the flavor of oysters. Don't think I 'd be as thrilled to try one that included it !
Jon H.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »
I thought that historically they used the oyster shells as fining agents.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Oyster stout
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »
I thought that historically they used the oyster shells as fining agents.

Not a bad possibility.....I had also heard that the shells were used to provide calcium.  As far as I've been able to find, the oysters themselves were not traditionally used.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
I recently stopped into Stewart's Brewing Company in Bear, De, which is about a 30 min drive from my house. They recently won a silver medal at the 2012 GABF for their Oyster Stout. Ric Hoffman is the head brewer, as well as a really nice guy. I ordered a pint of their medal winning Oyster Stout and a BBQ Brisket Sandwich. All I can say is...WOW! Surprisingly, it doesn't taste like oysters, and I'm a huge fan of fresh shucked raw oysters. It (the beer) has a slight salty/mineral taste though. I really enjoyed it...and the BBQ Brisket sandwich as well.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 07:36:35 am »
I recently stopped into Stewart's Brewing Company in Bear, De, which is about a 30 min drive from my house. They recently won a silver medal at the 2012 GABF for their Oyster Stout. Ric Hoffman is the head brewer, as well as a really nice guy. I ordered a pint of their medal winning Oyster Stout and a BBQ Brisket Sandwich. All I can say is...WOW! Surprisingly, it doesn't taste like oysters, and I'm a huge fan of fresh shucked raw oysters. It (the beer) has a slight salty/mineral taste though. I really enjoyed it...and the BBQ Brisket sandwich as well.

The $64,000 question, though, is did you ask him if he used actual oysters in it?
Joe

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.

I would say it tastes like a stout with salt added to it. I've had Flying Dog Pearl Necklace (bought it because of the epic name) and 21st Amendment Brew Co Marooned On Hog Island. Neither were bad, but not my favorite.
Frank

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »
If anyone is ever in England around this time of year, it is oyster stout season and Adnams does a great oyster stout. Not too many breweries do a real oyster stout but Adnams pulls it off. BTW, I hate oysters in any other fashion.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:32 pm »
What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.

I would say it tastes like a stout with salt added to it.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.  You can imagine tasting the ocean, with a briney background.  The best one I had was at a nano brew restaurant in Asheville, N.C.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995