General Category > All Grain Brewing

Will clear / decolorized iodine work for the starch / full conversion test?

(1/2) > >>

imperialstout:
Wondering if the clear, decolorized iodine will work for the starch / full conversion test. My guess is it will if it is the iodine that changes colour and not the colour added to the iodine that changes. My guess is if there is no starch left the clear iodine will stay clear, otherwise it will turn purple. Any thoughts?

Jimmy K:
Not sure, but there is no dye added to either. CVS lists the ingredients for both and Iodine tincture contains pure iodine and sodium iodine while decolorized iodine contains potassium iodine only. My guess is the answer is no since potassium iodine probably has different properties.

denny:
Truthfully, I suggest you just skip doing the test.  I know of too may people who get false readings from it and it really doesn't tell you if you have full conversion.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: denny on February 04, 2013, 09:16:28 AM ---Truthfully, I suggest you just skip doing the test.  I know of too may people who get false readings from it and it really doesn't tell you if you have full conversion.

--- End quote ---
I've heard that too.  I don't know anybody that still does iodine tests.

tschmidlin:
I don't do iodine tests either and don't recommend them, but you could put a drop on a slice of bread and see if it changes color.  You'll have your answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version