Other than Brewing > The Pub

Oh that Google

<< < (2/4) > >>

denny:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on February 04, 2013, 12:30:04 PM ---It's strange that the first result is Deschutes though... Isn't Google in California? It isn't the top search either: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=brewery

--- End quote ---

IIRC, Google has a large server farm in eastern OR, not too far from Bend where Deschutes is.

narvin:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 04, 2013, 02:11:26 PM ---This is Albany, GA.  And if you search for Albany, GA - then search for brewery it goes to Deschutes. Any other location in the country and this works fine. Also, search for just about anything else around Albany, GA and it works correctly.

--- End quote ---

Oh, you're right.  Perhaps Google, like me, didn't know there was an Albany, GA  ;)

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: narvin on February 04, 2013, 02:55:11 PM ---Oh, you're right.  Perhaps Google, like me, didn't know there was an Albany, GA  ;)

--- End quote ---
Since Denny mentioned a nearby server farm, I now suspect subversion.  :)  Though I've heard a few other wacky search stories that they claimed where just search algorithm artifacts.

dbeechum:
When you're beyond up to your eyeballs in data like Google is, all sorts of funny things happen when you're attempting to cross correlate data from widely disparate resources

To use a technical turn of a phrase - google is doing some way fancy s*** to churn through petabytes of data that I can't even begin to fathom. It's bound to make an oopsie every once in a while. The interesting part to me is how rare it actually is. I suspect their error rate is less than if humans were doing a similar classification and cross linking.

On the positive side of the fence - anyone remember how bad finding stuff on the web was before the google guys jumped in and made everyone up their game?

Also, I've been impressed with how fast google is indexing things these days. Sometimes I'll post something or be involved in something and it's available via google search within 4 hours. Mind boggingly fast.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: dbeechum on February 04, 2013, 06:11:28 PM ---When you're beyond up to your eyeballs in data like Google is, all sorts of funny things happen when you're attempting to cross correlate data from widely disparate resources

--- End quote ---
That I completely believe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version