General Category > Beer Recipes

Brewing a Barley wine.

<< < (2/3) > >>

euge:
My first BW was 100% 2-row and I seem to recall boiling down 10 gallons to about five. Took about 4 hours. I still have a bottle or two after 5 years. Plenty complex.

If pressed I'd say "American" was my favorite style but I hardly ever drink them anymore. If you want real hop presence you'll need a lot of them and be forewarned that hop character fades rather quickly. You'll lose 50% probably in the first year alone.

davidgzach:
My first was just made and bottled.  It was 95% 2-Row and 5% Crystal 80.  Ray Daniels said to keep the grain bill simple so I did.

It was an American version with Chinook bittering and Cascade flavor and aroma for an IBU of 112.5. 

Looking forward to trying it..........in several months.

Dave

The Professor:

--- Quote from: euge on February 05, 2013, 07:04:36 AM ---...If pressed I'd say "American" was my favorite style but I hardly ever drink them anymore. If you want real hop presence you'll need a lot of them and be forewarned that hop character fades rather quickly. You'll lose 50% probably in the first year alone.

--- End quote ---

wow...different strokes, I guess.
I don't think a barleywine is even worth drinking until its at least a year or two old ...and preferably older!

I guess I'm just an old traditionalist (and getting older). 8)

BrewingRover:

--- Quote from: The Professor on February 06, 2013, 03:18:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: euge on February 05, 2013, 07:04:36 AM ---...If pressed I'd say "American" was my favorite style but I hardly ever drink them anymore. If you want real hop presence you'll need a lot of them and be forewarned that hop character fades rather quickly. You'll lose 50% probably in the first year alone.

--- End quote ---

I don't think a barleywine is even worth drinking until its at least a year or two old ...and preferably older!

--- End quote ---
I drink a bit of Bigfoot when it first comes out every year and stash more in my cellar. I love the way it changes over time. If I want a high ABV hop bomb, I'll buy a Three Floyd's DIPA like Arctic Panzer Wolf

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: BrewingRover on February 06, 2013, 05:28:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Professor on February 06, 2013, 03:18:17 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I drink a bit of Bigfoot when it first comes out every year and stash more in my cellar. I love the way it changes over time. If I want a high ABV hop bomb, I'll buy a Three Floyd's DIPA like Arctic Panzer Wolf

--- End quote ---

I am looking forward to a vertical bigfoot expidition. Sometime this week maybe. I have 1 bottle of 2007 and then 2009-2013. It's only okay for me when fresh, but after a year or two it starts to be really amazing. I had a 2006 a couple years ago and that was AMAZING so I am really looking forward to the 2007

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version