General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

age 6 months in bucket, lid won't seal

<< < (2/3) > >>

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on February 05, 2013, 09:09:45 AM ---Try the new lid first. If it still doesn't seal, rack it and throw the bucket away (or use it to store gear).

--- End quote ---

why would you throw the bucket away? I have all kind of buckets with poorly sealing lids. It's just not that big a deal. Maybe not good for long term ageing but plastic is not great for that anyway.

sounds like a perfectly usable primary fermenter to me. It's been hit with bugs so mark it as sours only but no reason to retire it.

euge:
I think it is quite possible to remediate a bugged bucket. Submerge it in near 170-190F water for 20-30 minutes. I use my brew kettle. Let cool in water- if you try to lift it out full of the very hot water it will form cracks in the bottom.

majorvices:
I wouldn't store any beer in a bucket for 6 weeks, let alone 6 months!

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on February 05, 2013, 09:58:55 AM ---sounds like a perfectly usable primary fermenter to me. It's been hit with bugs so mark it as sours only but no reason to retire it.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinkin.

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: majorvices on February 05, 2013, 10:57:36 AM ---I wouldn't store any beer in a bucket for 6 weeks, let alone 6 months!

--- End quote ---

Trying it now - kind of a "Homebrew Horny Tank". So far, so good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version